cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sigma 35mm or 50mm Art?

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Hi all,

I've been silent for almost an entire year. Thanks to ebiggs for recommending me the sigma 35mm, it's still my go to lens for sharp photos (though I did make some in camera adjustments as well in terms of picture style). Just recently, a lot of photographers just coincidentally happened to get the sigma lens as well. Another person got the 35mm, one got an 18-35mm for his nikon, but the best photographer out of all of us got the 50mm on the 6d. For the same price as the 35mm, is there any real difference between the 35mm and the 50mm other than the having more bokeh with the 50mm? I know it gives more of a blur as you're standing further away from the subject with the 50 but is that really the only difference? Is there a benefit of having both lenses? Or does it just depend on the situatoin you want to put yourself in? Thanks! P.S. Only reason why I'm asking is because I watched Digital Rev's review on the 50mm and that's how I came to that conclusion.

46 REPLIES 46

"I just recently changed my style in automotive ..."

Really? To what?

I bet you can't guess what gear I used to shoot these two shots.

_DS31420.jpg_DS31423.jpg

BTW, it was raining when I shot these!  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Actually I took upon myself, after months and probably even after a year of frustration, to go back and try to see if I could save some of my portrait shots. I was just messing around with a few of them yesterday and came with these. I went a bit over board with the last image (dumb mistake of over using luminance to a heavy extent and I think I might have accidentally used my 50 1.4 for that, should've stuck with the 35) but now I can see why people use mostly primes for portraits (the 70-200 might have been a better choice over the 24-105 for the beach shot but that's for a future investment). I saw the first photo as the perfect shot, as this was captured using the 35mm. Any tips? Thanks 😄IMG_0871-Edit-Edit.jpgIMG_1202-Edit.jpgIMG_9018-Edit-Edit.jpg

What exposure mode are you using?  Are you like me, one mode fits all?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I use either full manual or aperture priority.

@iphonemaster93 wrote:

I'm sorry.  I said "exposure mode", but actualy meant to ask about "metering mode".  The beach scene seems like the camera misread you intent for the exposure metering.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@iphonemaster93 wrote:

I'm sorry.  I said "exposure mode", but actualy meant to ask about "metering mode".  The beach scene seems like the camera misread you intent for the exposure metering.

I sometimes do and don't use the light meter, depending on how much sun there is behind or in front of me. My friend recommended me to go 1/3 below 0 as that's what he does for his wedding shots but I've tried that before, the person in the photo was completely dark while the background was a bit overexposed. So I don't entirely depend on the light meter.

There is nothing wrong or any tips needed for any of these photos.  It depends on what you wanted and are you satisfied with them.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Nobody here can tell you different if this is the look you are after and want.

IMHO, they are pretty nice.  My taste, the beach is slightly over exposed but that's me.  You can change exposure or metering modes and even lenses and maybe you would like it better.  You won't know unless you try.  Right?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

There is nothing wrong or any tips needed for any of these photos.  It depends on what you wanted and are you satisfied with them.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Nobody here can tell you different if this is the look you are after and want.

IMHO, they are pretty nice.  My taste, the beach is slightly over exposed but that's me.  You can change exposure or metering modes and even lenses and maybe you would like it better.  You won't know unless you try.  Right?

Thank you and I was thinking the same, but I have a very hard time not making it look like the person was just copied and pasted into the photo with a lower exposure of the beach; in fact, with any photo of that matter. I've tried before and it looked like the person was just pasted right into the photo 😕 

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

IMG_3009.jpg

I can't shoot a waterfall to save my life haha. Used the 24-105 for this with a 3 stop ND filter at I believe 10-15 seconds. Only shot this because I may only see Niagara Falls once in my life and this was it. 

_DS31567_8_9HDR.jpg

The falls of the Big Sioux River at Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

EOS 1D Mk IV with ef 24-70mm f2.8L II.

EB
Announcements