cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

push-pull

j-p
Contributor

Hi. From what I see on other forums, the push-pull design of the 100-400L v1 is popular. I know I prefer it to twist zoom. If it is even possible, I wonder if there is any profit for Canon to fabricate a conversion kit  to be installed by a Canon service center that would convert the v2 100-400 from twist to push-pull?

Any thoughts?  Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would suggest you keep your version 1.  It will be far easier and the version 2 is only slightly better probably not really noticeable in real world use.

The push-pull design got a bad rap by some right-brain challenged individuals that blamed it for sucking in dust.  That is bogus.

All zoom lens, twist or push, move.  They have to in order to zoom.  The dust issue, real or precieved, is more on how the lens is sealed and not how it is zoomed.

If you truly want a lens that push/pulls you may want to consider the new Sigma 150-600mm as it is both.  It and the EF 100-400mm are nearly equal in performance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I seriously doubt there will be a second version of the new 100-400 that's a push / pull. Way to much engineering needed to get 2 different designs to deliver the same IQ etc.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

marcosphoto
Contributor

Don't know if you're still following your posting,  but I see the thread had gone off topic like happens so often.  I can't see Canon making a retrofit - a waste of time in and money in their eyes.  Besides, I'm sure the barrel would have to be a complete new design for a severe operational change of that nature.  They do have mk2 I believe, twist zoom of course.  I too find mine very cumbersome to use, but alas - this is why such an optically awesome lens comes with such a reasonable price on the used market now. 

Thanks. I supposed we'll get used to it, but it will never be as efficient as push-pull. My original thought was more wishful thinking than hope for a solution.

A friend showed me that the new one can work push pull style & it didn't seem to take much effort. Maybe it's that smooth.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

It's not just the action of push-pull to zoom that I like. One may be able to "push-pull" the new one by grabbing the lens hood, but you don't have the rig properly balanced with one hand at the extreme end of the lens. I've tried it and find it awkward. My lens hand must be under the barrel or under the tripod mount plate to be balanced.

With the ver1 lens, holding the push-pull collar also meant that your hand was balancing the rig. Being at the ready for a shot in a quickly changing environment is what I'm talking about. It doesn't matter which zoom action you prefer, the twin phyical acts of zooming the lens and balancing the rig are just plain more easily accomplished with the ver 1 mechanism.

marcosphoto
Contributor

I'm a mechanic with 3 licenses, and very handy I've been told.  Can't imagine any way for anyone to manufacture a retrofit for this application without replacement of the whole lens barrel and some elements even.  Unfortunately, unlikely.   But...we can keep searching the china market - you'll never know!

I'm a mechanic too & there's no way someone will make a better lens than the new one that's a push pull like the old one & still be in the ball park price to IQ / IS wise. I shoot 3 push pulls & prefer it to twist to zoom but IF I think the new lens will be better for my event shooting it will get bought. Luckily I'll get to try one soon without buying or renting.

Announcements