cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prime lens

kertl7779
Contributor

I only use a 70-200 f2.8L IS II USM telephoto lens to take baseball pictures, however, I am going to be taken players portrait pictures. I need advice of which Canon prime lenses I should choose for my Canon 60D camera. Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

35 mm or 50 mm should do nicely.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

hsbn
Whiz

You don't have to spend money for Prime Lens, the 70-200 F2.8L IS II is great for potrait. Unless you really want to get a prime lens, then the 85 F1.2L,  or 135 F2 are highly recommended lens by potrait photographer. For me, I think your current lens is already really good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Keep in mind it's a crop body so the 50 acts like 80 mm.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

then the 35 mm will be the best choice, thanks

Thanks for your suggestion. If that is the case, it will work for me. I don't have to change lenses all the time.

ScottyP
Authority
As Cicopo says, on your crop sensor 60d, you would do well with a 50mm or an 85mm length. This is because the "classic portrait length lens" is 85 to 135mm on a full frame sensor. On the 1.6x crop bodies, you therefore are looking at a 50mm or 85mm. 135 would be awfully long.

If your baseball portraits are of the full-body, holding a bat variety, you will want to stay down at the wider 50mm length or you will have to stand back a long way to get the whole body in.

That said, you already own a really great portrait lens in your 70-200 f/2.8. See below:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Portrait-Lens.aspx

Good luck!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Super info, thanks
Announcements