cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lens

ricosurfcat
Contributor

I have a EF 100-400 f 4.5-5.6 l series lens. It is suddenly having a hard time communicating with the camera. I get an error message that says clean the contacts, which I have done. The problem persists. I am in Panama, and there is an authorized Canon service center, but I would like to know if there is any further trouble shooting I can do at the house without taking it to the service center 6 hours away.

4 REPLIES 4

diverhank
Authority

Are you using it with an extender or just by itself?

With an extender, you should mount the extender to the lens first before mounting on the camera, otherwise you might get this error a lot.

Besides cleaning the contacts (which rarely works) and power the camera off, removing the battery and wait a while for total discharge, there's not a lot of things you can do.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks for the reply. No, I use the lens by itself. Have been turning the camera off/on, and taking the lens off and on, the problem is getting more persistent. Looks like a trip to the big city. Thanks again.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Make the trip to the service center.  It will help keep your blood pressure in check! Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yeah, bummer, I was afraid of that. The Canon service center here in Panama leaves a lot to be desired. I had this problem with an older lens, it cost $500+ to fix and took 6 months. Thanks anyway.

Announcements