cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fd lenses

breasal
Apprentice

I've got several old lenses marked FD. Does anyone know if they'd be compatible with Canon's Rebel line? or generally with the any digital camera?

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

farsidefan1
Apprentice

Funny, I just posted my gripe that I have not found a way to keep using these legacy lenses. Sony makes adapters so you can use them with Sony cameras but nothing from Canon. I'm hoping someone from Canon will chime in and say, "No problem, here is the solution".

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

They are not compatible.  Only Canon "EOS" compatible lenses can be used on a Canon Rebel body.

A Rebel can use an Canon EOS "EF" or "EF-S" lens... as well as the specialty lenses such as the tilt-shift (TS-E) and macro-photo (MP-E) lenses.   The only lenses that cannot be used are the "EF-M" lenses (designed only for use on Canon's "Mirrorless" EOS-M camera (not sold in North America.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yey, you can buy adapters to use them if you want. ONLY problem is you won't be happy doing it. You loose AF, and they aren't as sharp as today's lenses PLUS the current line of cameras don't have any form of focus assist like the old ones did because they have an AF system. It's like asking for bias ply tires for your new Audi, Mercedes, Corvette etc.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I've got several old lenses marked FD."

They make good paper weights.  There is a company that will convert them into a coffee mug.  That is reaaly where they belong and in the past.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

They make good paper weights.  There is a company that will convert them into a coffee mug.  ...

Are you sure? That sounds like an urban legend to me.

There are, however, coffee mugs that look like lenses. One sits on the desk in front of me as a type this. It has a rubber lid that looks exactly like a lens cap.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

8 REPLIES 8

farsidefan1
Apprentice

Funny, I just posted my gripe that I have not found a way to keep using these legacy lenses. Sony makes adapters so you can use them with Sony cameras but nothing from Canon. I'm hoping someone from Canon will chime in and say, "No problem, here is the solution".

sorry you have the same problem. I like your use of legacy instead of old. pm

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

They are not compatible.  Only Canon "EOS" compatible lenses can be used on a Canon Rebel body.

A Rebel can use an Canon EOS "EF" or "EF-S" lens... as well as the specialty lenses such as the tilt-shift (TS-E) and macro-photo (MP-E) lenses.   The only lenses that cannot be used are the "EF-M" lenses (designed only for use on Canon's "Mirrorless" EOS-M camera (not sold in North America.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yey, you can buy adapters to use them if you want. ONLY problem is you won't be happy doing it. You loose AF, and they aren't as sharp as today's lenses PLUS the current line of cameras don't have any form of focus assist like the old ones did because they have an AF system. It's like asking for bias ply tires for your new Audi, Mercedes, Corvette etc.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

They make good paper weights.  There is a company that will convert them into a coffee mug.  That is reaaly where they belong and in the past.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

They make good paper weights.  There is a company that will convert them into a coffee mug.  ...

Are you sure? That sounds like an urban legend to me.

There are, however, coffee mugs that look like lenses. One sits on the desk in front of me as a type this. It has a rubber lid that looks exactly like a lens cap.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Are you sure? That sounds like an urban legend to me."

Was meant, tounge and cheek!  Bob from Boston, don't take all as gosspel even if I say it.  Smiley Wink

EB

breasal
Apprentice

thanks for everyone's answer

Announcements