hi there!

i need pro advise on comparing 2 lenses as follow:

ef-s 10-18mm f.4.5 IS STM VS ef-s 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM

sharpness of corners on 10-22

outdoor clearance seems equal 

10-18 has IS but much cheaper

10-22 has metal mount and 10-18 plastic

etc...

but mostly having "IS" system is very important plus quality imaging?

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

One practical difference is that 10-22mm, having an angle-of-view equivalent to 16-35mm on a full-35mm-frame camera, is ultra-wide to wide-normal. In "classic" 35mm photography, the angle of view seen by a 35mm lens is quite versatile. When someone posts a poll on popular focal lengths for prime lenses for "full-frame" cameras, 35mm usually seems to win. On our APS-C cameras, the 35mm-equivalent angle-of-view is achieved at 22mm.

I often use my 10-22mm at 22mm, for this wide-normal angle of view. The newer 10-18mm EF-S seems like a wonderful lens, but it zooms from ultra-wide to wide, making it less useful as my only lens for the day.

As for Image Stabilization, well, it is never a bad thing to have, but I have not found myself wishing for it when using my 10-22mm. I do, indeed, find Image Stabilization useful with my 24-105L and 100mm 2.8L Macro lenses. If I shot video, I might well want Image Stabilization in an ultra-wide-angle lens.

When I bought my 10-22mm, the 10-18mm was not yet announced, much less available, so I have not researched the 10-18mm. 

As for "pro" advice, well, I am not in the business of photography, but do make evidentiary/forensic/documentary images for official purposes, as part of my duties as a public servant, and strive for "pro" results. I do use my 10-22mm for many of these images; my other "work" lenses being the 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS and 24-105 f/4L IS. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

I don't know whether many here have used both but these might help.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1377276

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=312255

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority
You can compare side by side test chart shots on this website:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx

Select each lens using the two pull down menus. Be sure to also select the same
Aperture and focal length for each one so it is fair. Look at edges as well as the center, especially on a wide angle lens.

This tool is the most useful I have ever found. Lots of people can praise or trash a lens but actually seeing both for yourself abc comparing is priceless.

Good luck!
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

One practical difference is that 10-22mm, having an angle-of-view equivalent to 16-35mm on a full-35mm-frame camera, is ultra-wide to wide-normal. In "classic" 35mm photography, the angle of view seen by a 35mm lens is quite versatile. When someone posts a poll on popular focal lengths for prime lenses for "full-frame" cameras, 35mm usually seems to win. On our APS-C cameras, the 35mm-equivalent angle-of-view is achieved at 22mm.

I often use my 10-22mm at 22mm, for this wide-normal angle of view. The newer 10-18mm EF-S seems like a wonderful lens, but it zooms from ultra-wide to wide, making it less useful as my only lens for the day.

As for Image Stabilization, well, it is never a bad thing to have, but I have not found myself wishing for it when using my 10-22mm. I do, indeed, find Image Stabilization useful with my 24-105L and 100mm 2.8L Macro lenses. If I shot video, I might well want Image Stabilization in an ultra-wide-angle lens.

When I bought my 10-22mm, the 10-18mm was not yet announced, much less available, so I have not researched the 10-18mm. 

As for "pro" advice, well, I am not in the business of photography, but do make evidentiary/forensic/documentary images for official purposes, as part of my duties as a public servant, and strive for "pro" results. I do use my 10-22mm for many of these images; my other "work" lenses being the 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS and 24-105 f/4L IS. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements