cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Lens to Replace Kit Lens?

Hedgehog1
Contributor

Alright: Firstly, please keep in mind that I have a grandson in college, a mortgage, a car payment and a spouse who has grown accustomed to eating regularly. Now: I recently purchased an SL-2 with the 18-55mm and the 70-300mm kit lenses. It didn't take very long to figure out that the 70-300mm was not the greatest zoom lens. (Not complaining, as you get what you pay for.) But I would like to improve on the zoom quality somewhat. I would appreciate any recommendations for a better-quality lens to replace my 70-300mm that is in the reasonable price range of, say, $500. I would not object to refurbished. My favorite subject is wildlife, especially birdwatching. Any advice appreciated!

20 REPLIES 20

@deebatman316 wrote:

I know that the EF 85mm F/1.2L USM (OG) and the EF 85mm F/1.2L II USM lenses both have slow AF performance. The focus rings on both of those lenses are also slow since there ring type USM focus by wire lenses.

The fact that those lenses have USM motors has little or nothing to do with their apparent slower focusing speed.  All of the top of the line super telephoto lenses have USM motors and have very fast focusing, even the older ones.

Those particular lenses are slower to focus because of the narrow depth of field that you can achieve.  The engineers traded increased focusing accuracy for less focusing speed.

One of the big problems with the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM being labeled as soft when used wide open is because its focusing motors are not very accurate.  They tend to over/under shoot the mark.  Whenever I used this lens in One Shot AF mode, I would focus and refocus a couple of times on a subject.  It is actually a decently sharp lens once it has been carefully focused, either manually or automatically.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle I understand what your saying. I was talking about MF override with these early Ring Type USM lenses with electronic manual focus.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

"I would not object to refurbished" means that the OP is OK with purchasing refurbished lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Good catch @rs-eos I was tired last night.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

normadel
Authority
Authority

The Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS USM is a beautiful lens, real fast focusing. I got mine from MPB.com, who is a great used dealer. They have some on hand right now, but not as low as $500.00. Includes six month warranty.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Hedgehog1

Getting back to your question.  The 75-300 is one of Canon's most basic entry level zooms.

The 70-300 f4-5.6 L mentioned above is higher quality and a much better lens.  It's comparable in reach, but has a night and day difference in image quality.  It's a full frame lens and will provide the equivalent FOV of 112-460mm on your SL2  This would still be considered on the short end from a reach standpoint for birding and wildlife.  This means you have to get closer which also means you run the risk of disturbing or spooking your subject.

In this case, a better option might be a Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm.  These are 2 of the most frequently used lenses for birds and wildlife.  They should perform quite well on an SL2.  However, they are above your budget.  Used you would be looking at about $780.  New $1100-$1300.  Canon has wonderful lenses in longer focal lengths too, but they start at a substantially higher price point.  Going for one of the "longer" alternatives would really make a difference for you.  If there is any way you could wait and save a bit more, I think you would be very pleased.  If you have more questions please ask.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hedgehog1
Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I think I will wait and save for a higher quality lens. Again, you get what you pay for!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The used departments at KEH, lensrentals, adorama and b&h are excellent sources for high quality previously owned gear.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Hedgehog1,

You can get a 55-250mm IS STM lens for about $300.

I like mine.

Steve Thomas

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

I have owned several of these lenses, though none of them recently.

The 75-300mm kit lens is what it is, a useful introduction to telephoto zooms, but not the greatest optically or mechanically.

Canon have made a bewildering variety of 70-300mm zooms, the more recent ones being generally better than the older ones. The current range includes the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM - which is unusual in having a small LCD display panel which shows focus and depth of field information. It is optically a very good lens indeed, and mechanically it functions very well, with fast accurate autofocus. It doesn't feel anywhere like as well made as a pro-grade 'L' series lens, but at its price you wouldn't expect that. The reviews have been generally glowing with praise.

The best EF 70-300 lens that Canon make is undoubtedly the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, the smallest of the 'white' lenses in Canon's range. Built to withstand professional use and abuse, its optical quality is slightly better than the already very good quality of the cheaper lens, but mechanically it's a class apart. And costs accordingly.

If you can get the current version of the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM (the one with the LCD display panel) new or refurbished within your budget, I'm quite sure you'll be very pleased with it.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.
Announcements