cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Lens Recommendation for Rebel t7i

SarelErwee
Apprentice

Amateur/recreational photographer. I take pictures almost exclusively on hiking/outdoor excursion trips. After a trip to Alaska, I realized I need a zoom lens. What zoom lens would you recommend for photographing animals from a kayak or boat or for generally better/closer hiking photos?

EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III —- thoughts either of these?

I definitely want image stabilization and also want to stay in the lower price range. Thanks in advance!

20 REPLIES 20

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

KV,

I do.  Same FOV, but what's captured in the back is determined by the size of the sensor. After 45+ yrs with Canon I get it. The fact remains that no matter what the FOV is, the captured image will appear larger, cropped, however someone wants to refer to it, if they put a FF lens on a crop body sensor.  This is why I mentioned equivalent focal length.  The physical focal length of the lens doesn't change.  The perspective does once you put a FF lens on a APS-C sensor. 

Cheers      

shadowsports_0-1641338706300.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

KV,

.  The perspective does once you put a FF lens on a APS-C sensor. 

There you go again, on an APS-C size camera the perspective of the EF 70-300 set at 200 mm will be exactly the same as the EF-S 55-250 set at 200 mm.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I guess we were all wondering why you would point out that a 70-300 “full frame” lens would yield an equivalent 112-480mm, but you didn’t also say that the 55-250 “kit lens” would yield an equivalent 88-400mm. 

Mike Sowsun

exactly.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am another vote in favor of you getting the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens. I am not a fan of any of the lenses in the 70-75 to 300mm zoom range.

I know you stated you wanted to stay in the lower price range but the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens is an  outstanding lens and better than anything listed here so far. It is built to take more abuse that might occur in riding in a canoe. It is quite a bit more expensive than the others but, IMHO, well worth it. It is a lifetime lens purchase.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I don't know that I would take my L-lens in a kayak. 8^).

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A lens or any camera gear you don't use because you are afraid is not worth a dime. Not a penny.  It all works well in a camera bag or on the shelf. If I go there, my gear goes there with me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

A lens or any camera gear you don't use because you are afraid is not worth a dime. Not a penny.  It all works well in a camera bag or on the shelf. If I go there, my gear goes there with me.

Agree.

I don't ocean kayak or whitewater kayak, just flatwater. I use a drybag that I can place between my legs and the camera sits it till I want to use it. 

The new EF70-300 version II lens is quite good. I don't think any of the 75-300mm versions are good.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"The perspective does once you put a FF lens on a APS-C sensor."

This is correct if one is comparing using a 200mm lens (for example) on a FF camera and then puts that lens on a crop sensor camera. But if all anyone has is a crop sensor camera then an EF and EF-S lens will show exactly the same view.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

But in this case, the OP might never had seen a "35 mm" or "FF" camera, so to EBiggs point, why bother to bring it up, since the OP has no frame of reference.

Announcements