cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Thoughts on the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

cas1963
Enthusiast

I just purchased a very low mileage 5Dmk4, and I need some lenses now. I really liked my EFS 17-55 on my crop camera and used it almost all the time. The range of this 24-70 is what I want but it doesn’t have IS. I’ve been reading so many different opinions but looking for one more from this group! Will I miss the IS? I’m mostly NOT using a tripod, only if the exposure will be too long.  
Thank you in advance.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cas1963
Enthusiast

Thank you all for this useful info! I’m going for it!! 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi cas1963,

This is one of Canon's best workhorse lenses.  Its extremely light and very sharp.

At the time, I passed on it because I wanted IS in a do most anything walkaround lens.    I purchased a Sigma Art in this FL.  That lens was on my camera 85% of the time and went everywhere with me.  IS is great for hand held video and shooting in low light without a flash.  You can be tired and fatigued and get away with it.  Conversely, having a constant f2.8 means you are going to get lots of light anyway.  

I borrowed the Canon version from a friend and compared the two.  The Canon minus IS is a lot lighter.  About 3/4 of a lb.  When you are carrying your camera all day, some people can really feel it.  The extra weight never bothered me.  Image wise, I couldn't see a big difference.  In the majority of cases however, canon glass is often sharper corner to corner.

The Canon lens is an excellent mate for the 5D4.  You'll not regret owning it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The EFS 17-55 is pretty heavy, 3/4 lb will be nice!

@cas1963 wrote:

The EFS 17-55 is pretty heavy, 3/4 lb will be nice!

The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM II is actually heavier than the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM. 

A2DF3D30-3A2E-4FB1-B0C7-13FBBC6CD7BF.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Oops. Totally misunderstood but that’s ok, I’m used to it.  Thanks for clarifying. 

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

I own a copy of the 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM and haven't had any problems with the lens not having IS. I mainly use this lens outdoors. Sometimes indoors with bounced on camera flash with a fast enough shutter speed. To counteract any camera shake. How are you using this lens. Are you using this lens in low light indoors. Or are you using this lens outdoors. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

It will be mostly outdoors.  most of my indoor photography usually requires a tripod-stills and macro type work. And I don’t do video.  

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

70mm at the long end isn't too long, so the rough rule of using 1/focal-length as a minimum shutter should give you lots of options for hand-held shots (e.g. being able to use down to around 1/80s).

The 5D IV has very good ISO performance, so if you can definitely increase the ISO should you need faster shutter speeds in lower-light scenarios.

Assuming also that your primary use-case (or only use case) is for photography?  IS can be incredibly useful if you'll be doing video work.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

primary use is photography, no video. 

cas1963
Enthusiast

Thank you all for this useful info! I’m going for it!! 

Announcements