cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong X2 bought.

sukkie58
Apprentice

Hi my husband has just bought me a X2, unfortunatly it's for L fit lens, I only have EF fitting lens, can anybody give me any ideas if I can buy anything to make it work. I have a 1200D. Thank you

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What is a "X2"?  What does it do?  Who makes it? 

Is it a teleconverter, to double the effective focal length of a your lens?  If so, what lens are you trying to use with it?  Depending upon the f/stop rating of the lens, it is likely that the AF, auto focus, system will not work with it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

"X2" and "L" make no sense in this context. Please give us exact model numbers. I certainly hope that "X2" does not refer to Fuji!

@kvbarkley wrote:

"X2" and "L" make no sense in this context. Please give us exact model numbers. I certainly hope that "X2" does not refer to Fuji!

I think she means that she has a 2X teleconverter, which does, I believe, work only (or at least mostly) with a compatible subset of the "L" group of lenses. I doubt there is anything she can do to "make it work', but maybe she could trade it for a 1.4X TC, which may be a bit more forgiving.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

But we really don't know. Since all "L" lenses are "EF Fitting" lenses.

diverhank
Authority

@sukkie58 wrote:

Hi my husband has just bought me a X2, unfortunatly it's for L fit lens, I only have EF fitting lens, can anybody give me any ideas if I can buy anything to make it work. I have a 1200D. Thank you

I'm just as confused as others...are you talking about a 2X teleconverter? If so, is it made by Canon?

If it is, there are extrusion on the teleconverter that prevents it to fit with a number of lenses.  These are the lenses that will fit:

EF 135mm f/2L USM

EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM

EF 200mm f/1.8L USM

EF 200mm f/2L IS USM

EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM

EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM

EF 400mm f/4L DO IS USM

EF 400mm f/5.6L USM

EF 500mm f/4L IS USM

EF 600mm f/4L IS USM

EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM

EF 1200mm f/5.6L USM

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Interestingly enough, they all happen to be L lenses but there are plenty of L lenses that won't fit either.

One temporary solution is to use it with an extension tube in between the two to handle the protrusion.  This however, will prevent you from focusing to infinity because of the extension tube.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thank you yes it is a teleconverter. So its no use to me as I only have EF lenes. Thank you.

You really don't want any help, do you?

Please tell us the model number of the Teleconverter.

Please tell us which EF lenses you have.

@sukkie58 wrote:

Thank you yes it is a teleconverter. So its no use to me as I only have EF lenes. Thank you.

We are talking about EF lenses here and nothing else so it's not that "I only have EF lenses" but it should be "I only have the incompatible EF lenses".

Not sure if you know what's an Extension Tube is.  It is a hollow tube that can be used to shorten the minimum focus distance of a lens - allowing you to get closer to the objects so you can better take close-up pictures.  If you want to use the 2X teleconverter with your incompatible EF lenses, you can use the extension tube in between your 2X and your lens so it will physically fit.

The catch is you need to purchase an extension tube and you will not be able to focus on objects that are far away which probably defeats the purpose of the 2X converter.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

sukkie58
Apprentice

Cheers all.

Its a canon 2x extender mark ii that he has bought, which fits the L lens, for which my hubby didnt know as he isnt into photography,

To save any more confusion here I have now bought an L lens to fit onto the extender.

Cheers again.

Announcements