cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will EOS T3 Rebel lens work with Canon's newer mirrorless cameras?

petenorris
Contributor

Hello Forum;

Question: Will the Canon EOS T3 Rebel 18-55 lens work with the Canon mirrorless cameras?

I have got a Canon EOS T3 Rebel camera I bought about five years ago. I am wanting to upgrade to a newer camera and am considering the Canon mirrorless cameras.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, you can use your EF or EF-S lenses on a Canon morrorless camera, but you will need an adapter. It would cost about $100-200 depending on what brand, and what format you buy. 

Mirrorless cameras are designed to have the lens mount closer to the image sensor. To mount a DSLR lens on a Mirrorless camera, you need to restore the correct mounting distance. The adapter, is really just a spacer tube with electrical contacts. 

Canon has APS-C "M" series Mirrorless Crop cameras that use the EF-M lens mount,  and the Full Frame "R" series Mirrorless cameras that use the RF mount.

You would need either an EF/EF-S to EF-M adapter or EF/EF-S to RF adapter depending on which Canon Mirrrless camera you buy. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It will require an adapter.

Yes, you can use your EF or EF-S lenses on a Canon morrorless camera, but you will need an adapter. It would cost about $100-200 depending on what brand, and what format you buy. 

Mirrorless cameras are designed to have the lens mount closer to the image sensor. To mount a DSLR lens on a Mirrorless camera, you need to restore the correct mounting distance. The adapter, is really just a spacer tube with electrical contacts. 

Canon has APS-C "M" series Mirrorless Crop cameras that use the EF-M lens mount,  and the Full Frame "R" series Mirrorless cameras that use the RF mount.

You would need either an EF/EF-S to EF-M adapter or EF/EF-S to RF adapter depending on which Canon Mirrrless camera you buy. 

Mike Sowsun

@petenorris wrote:

Hello Forum;

Question: Will the Canon EOS T3 Rebel 18-55 lens work with the Canon mirrorless cameras?

I have got a Canon EOS T3 Rebel camera I bought about five years ago. I am wanting to upgrade to a newer camera and am considering the Canon mirrorless cameras.

Thank you in advance.

Which mirrorless cameras are you considering? If it's the full-frame "R" series, then even with an adapter, the image produced by your 18-55 lens won't cover the entire sensor, since that lens was designed for cameras with the smaller APS-C sensor. So you won't get the benefit of the camera's full resolution.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

petenorris
Contributor

Thanks everyone for responding. Smiley Happy

I'm going to have to do my research before buying a new camera.

"I'm going to have to do my research before buying a new camera."

Good idea.  Adapters are just that adapters, not the best idea in my book.  The lens designed exactly for the camera is always the best go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Lisaa77
Contributor

Your Canon EOS T3 Rebel uses EF and EF-S mount lenses, which include your 18-55mm lens. However, Canon's mirrorless cameras use a different lens mount known as RF.

The good news is that Canon has created an adapter for this exact situation. It's called the Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R. This adapter allows you to use your current EF and EF-S lenses with the newer Canon mirrorless cameras.

So yes, your Canon EOS T3 Rebel 18-55 lens can indeed work with Canon mirrorless cameras, but you will need to purchase the aforementioned adapter.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This was a 4 year old thread I doubt the OP is checking it any longer and has moved on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements