cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Lens To Buy for my Canon 70D?

PhotoBug7
Contributor

Hello Canon Community,

I am new to the forum and already had my question answered regarding Image Stabilization.  So after getting some feedback on that here is my dillema.  I am in need of a 70-200 2.8 lens with image stabilzation.  As much as I'd love to buy the Canon IS II USM for $2000, I just cant spend that much right now.  So, I am looking at reccomendations for these 2 other alternatives:

The Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC USD for $1,500 or

The Sigma APO 70-200 2.8 EX DG OS HSM for $1,150

Someone on the forum said that the Sigma was not weather sealed and vulnerable to dust and moisture.  I dont know??? I'm usually very protective of my lenses.  If its raining, I shut it down and cover my stuff up. 

Is it worth it to spend $350 more for the Tamron.  Or, is that weather seal a big deal, or was this just some person being picky or biased.

THANKS for the help!!

32 REPLIES 32

If you have not bought already, give the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Zoom Lens for Canon a good look first.

Given the choice between version one 'used' and a new Tamron, I really don't know which I would pick.  But as I read your post the a new Tamron is worth the consideration. Might be the choice (four year warranty for instance).   If the Canon is version II just buy it and forget the Tammy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If you have not bought already, give the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Zoom Lens for Canon a good look first.

Given the choice between version one 'used' and the Tamron, I really don't know which I would pick.  But as I read your post the new Tamron is worth the consideration. Might be the choice (four warranty for instance).   If the Canon is version II just buy it and forget the Tammy.

The Version II lens has the following legend etched on the edge of its front end:

CANON ZOOM LENS EF 70-200mm 1:2.8 L IS II USM

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@PhotoBug7 wrote:

I want to thank everyone for answering my questions on what lens to buy.  I know I probabably drove you guys crazy.  I was asking which 70-200mm 2.8 lens to buy for sports photography and it was between the Tamron and Sigma.  The Canon was very expensive.  However, what an interesting turn of events!  I just found a used Canon 70-200mm, 2.8 lens with the Image Stabilization!!  The price isnt bad.  Same as a new Tamron.  But from what you all send, the Canon is bsolutely the best quality lens in many facets!!

Yes, everyone said the Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II was the best 70-200 lens. The older EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS isn't a bad lens per say. It's image quality is in the neighborhood of the Tamron and the Simga, so if you got it for a similar price it's not a bad purchase. But, it's only a smoking hot deal if it was the version II of the lens.

Announcements