cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was the "kit" lens that originally came with my Canon EOS 10D DSLR? was there a "2-Lens" Kit?

azsportpilot
Apprentice

I know its been a while since its release in 2003 but does anyone remember what Lense(s) came with the 10D Kit?

I know it would have been the EF lenses as the 10D can NOT use the EF-S lenses produced later.

bought it used with a 35-80mm EF lens but i doubt this was the original, most used ones available online seem to come with the 18-55mm...... but this doesnt seem "long" enough for a typical "kit" lens.

was there an upgraded kit with 2 or more lenses?, if so what lenses?

4 REPLIES 4

amfoto1
Authority

"...most used ones available online seem to come with the 18-55mm...... but this doesnt seem "long" enough for a typical "kit" lens.."

Hmmmmm. A used 10D with an EF-S 18-55 would be a worthless combo. That lens won't even mount on the 10D. But it is the most common kit lens on today's crop sensor DSLRs. It's AOV on a cropper is roughly equivalent to a 28-90mm on a full frame camera, so it seems a reasonable choice for focal lengths.

The first camera to be able to use EF-S lenses was the Digital Rebel or 300D, which came out shortly after the 10D. The Rebel was introduced and offered with the first version of the EF-S 18-55mm.

When I bought my 10D I don't recall it being offered in kit with any particular "kit" lens. It might have been offered with the EF 28-135mm IS.... many of the later xxD models were. That's not a "kit lens", per se. It's an old film lens that's been around for quite a while, and actually offers better build, performance and image quality than many kit lenses... It's just not very wide on a crop sensor camera.  

I bought the 10D "body only". Can't recall seeing it offered in any kits.... but maybe just because I wasn't looking for it that way. 

I used my 10D with 24-70/2.8 and 17-35/2.8 that I had from my film cameras. I already had a 28-135, too.  Sometime later, when I found myself shooting digital more than film, I sold the 17-35 and got a Tokina 12-24, specifically because it could be used on the 10D (though by then I also had a 30D).

When new, the 10D was the first DSLR offered for less than $2000 (actually $1999). With the battery grip and shipping, it was around $2400.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

My first DSLR was the 10D and I also do not recall it being offered with a "Kit" lens. Most people just used what ever EOS film lenses they already had. 

The closest thing to a "Kit" lens may have been the EF 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 as all the Canon brochures and literature of the time showed the D30, D60, and 10D with that lens.

10D.jpg

10d5.jpg

10d7.JPG

10d6.jpg

Mike Sowsun

JamesRL
Apprentice

Arriving late to community board!  My lens kit was a 28mm-105mm.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yeah about 7 years too late. I doubt the OP is still interested or even around any longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements