cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lens to shoot birds/wildlife with my Canon EOS 50D?

Saluki
Enthusiast

I have a Canon 50D and 2 lenses - 18-135 and a 70-300. I'm thinking of adding a telephoto prime lens in the  500-600mm range. Is there anything out there that I might find on the used market in the $500 - $750 range that would be a significant increase in photo quality?  Would the Canon RF 600mm f/11 IS STM work with my EOS 50D?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is there anything out there that I might find on the used market in the $500 - $750 range that would be a significant increase in photo quality? "

Are you still talking "prime" lens here? If you are than, no, there is not. One of the 150-600mm super zooms is your answer. Otherwise the best prime tele is the EF 400mm f5.6L which is only available used since it has been discontinued. There is 500mm and 600mm primes but they are very expensive even used.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The 300mm is great too and has image stabilization, not as long a reach but..."

Oh, man, you are so right. I love the ef 300 mmf4L. Here's the kicker, buy the ef 300mm f4l and the 1.4x tel-con. You end up with a 420mm f5.6 that has IS. The ef 300mm has even better IQ than the ef 400mm so it has room to give the tel-con and still be great.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements