cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What cheaper 24-70 lens are worth considering instead of the RF?

urend
Apprentice

I use RF 24-240 as my walk around while, while it may have a great range can be a bit lacking on quality at times. Lately I've been wanting to get a good quality short zoom lens and 24-70 seems like a good option since I also have the RF 100-400 and a few small primes. The RF 24-70 f2.8 looks great but $2400 is a bit much for me. I see that there are a few EF 24-70s options between Canon and Tamron that would save a bit of money but I'm not sure which way to go so any advice would be appreciated.

For reference, I currently have an RP and plan to upgrade to an R8 when I can get good price and I already have the RF/EF adapter.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Only a little cheaper but the only other 24-70mm I recommend, for whatever that's worth, is the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens. It is outstanding and holds its own with the Canon versions. Since I think the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 to be the best lens made all the others are of no consideration to me except the Tamron G2. Mind you it must be the G2 model and not the earlier version.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“Buy it right the first time, and you won;t have to buy it again.”

I tend to stick with Canon lenses, primarily because DPP only corrects for Canon glass.  But also because I feel the Canon lenses perform better than their third party equivalents when you start pushing the envelope.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The RF 24-105 f4-7.1 STM or F4 L are also options if the 2.8 is beyond budget.  I owned the Sigma Art 24-70 f2.8 for over 5 years.  No denying it's a fabulous lens too.  These days I just shoot with Canon lenses. 

**Edit - spelling

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements