cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivitar lens compatibility with EOS Rebel T7

Cyfox
Apprentice

Heyo

I have a cannon rebel t-7 camera and I just got given a vivitar 28-85mm f3.3-f4.5 macro lens and I was wondering if there was an adapter I could buy so I can use it 

thank you 

2 REPLIES 2

zakslm
Rising Star
Rising Star

Cyfox,

If you could be more specific as to the which lens mount the Vivitar is fitted with that would be helpful. 

If it has an Canon EF compatible lens mount it should fit without an adapter.  A Canon EF lens mount looks like this or may be black plastic like the 18-55 kit lens that may have come with your T7 instead of stainless steel but the gold contacts will be there:

zakslm_0-1728147393788.png

If it isn't a Canon EF lens mount but some other type, then it probably isn't worth the trouble and expense of tracking down an adapter.  My recollection (from my Canon FD days) was that some of the Vivitar Series 1 lenses were good performers, but the lenses that were not Series 1 lenses were just OK.  In any case, it probably won't autofocus on your camera even with an adapter if it doesn't have a Canon EF lens mount.

I have a T7 as well and a benefit to owning a T7 (or similar body) is that any Canon EF and EF-S mount lens ever made will probably work on the camera.  If you're looking lenses, there are a lot of EF and EF-S lenses (Canon brand and other brands) that are available used and refurbished at very attractive prices from reputable sellers like the Canon Refurbished store, KEH.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Adorama.com, MPB.com, usedphotopro.com and elsewhere.  

Good luck!

LZ

normadel
Authority
Authority

The Vivitar you have is a manual-focus film camera lens.

Do you know what lens mount the Vivitar has? Is it even a Canon-mount lens?

If it's a Canon FD-mount, there are adapters to mate it with your T7, but the user experience will be less-than satisfactory.

1.No automation at all with focusing or exposure. Manual settings only.

2. The adapters that provide for infinity focus have low-quality optical elements in them. 

Your best bet is to give away the Vivitar to someone who has Canon manual-focus film cameras.

Announcements