cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two options for IS on 300mm prime

pixeltaker
Contributor

I just purchased this lens and I am wondering what the difference is between the two IS options.  Thanks in advance for your help.

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Mode 2 is for panning:

is.jpg

Thank you.  Also, I have read two different opinion on turning IS off when on a tripod.  Which is correct?  Leave it on, or turn it off.

Page 8 of the manual says to turn it off for tripod use. The reason for the confusion is that newer IS systems can sense when they are on a tripod and turn themselves off.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Page 8 of the manual says to turn it off for tripod use. The reason for the confusion is that newer IS systems can sense when they are on a tripod and turn themselves off.

Automatic disabling of the IS is also dependent on the camera body in use, too.  The behavior is only found in certain combinations professional camera bodies and lenses, usually super telephoto lenses and EOS-1D bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@pixeltaker wrote:

Thank you.  Also, I have read two different opinion on turning IS off when on a tripod.  Which is correct?  Leave it on, or turn it off.

That depends on which 300mm IS you have.....  And it also depends a lot on personal opinion and personal experience.

The 300mm f/4 IS from 1997 says to always turn off the IS when ever using a tripod. 

300mm f4 IS.jpg The EF 300mm f/2.8 IS from 1999 seems to imply you only need to turn off the IS if you want to conserve battery power.300mm f2.8 IS.jpg

The EF 300mm f/2.8 IS II from 2011 says it may be better to turn off the IS when using a tripod, but it depends on the tripod and the shooting conditions

300mm f2.8 IS II.jpg

Mike Sowsun

She can't have the 2.8/II because she only has 2 IS modes, not 3.

Thanks!  That's pretty much the consensus all around.

"I have read two different opinion on turning IS off when on a tripod.  ...  Leave it on, or turn it off."

I am aware of what the manuals say but in my experience I can not tell the difference in leaving IS on or turning it off. Of course I use good heavy duty tripods and that may make the difference. As a rule I never turn IS off unless I have another specific reason. The best thing to do is try it for yourself but I leave it on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

pixeltaker
Contributor
Wonderful! That clears that up. Thanks.
Announcements