cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on RF 100-400 as replacement for EF 75-300

nusaka
Apprentice

I’m thinking about buying the RF 100-400 to replace my 75-300. I’m unhappy with many of my recent photos from it and would like to zoom in a bit more. Is there anyone here who could provide some feedback on it? It will be used for sports and the odd wildlife shots.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I purchased the RF100-400  as a lightweight travel lens.  For sports and wildlife photography, you're probably going to be limited to out door daytime shooting.  Shooting at night even under lights or indoor illumination could be challenging.

From an image quality standpoint, it's a great lens.  It can be had for a great price on sale and refurbished.  I did buy a lens hood for mine which I use 90% of the time.  The extra 100 mm comes in very handy for longer distance shots.  It's also very light and easy to carry.  Sort of a sleeper lens that will definitely impress you.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

March411
Rising Star

I also own the 100-400mm and use it frequently for wildlife and outdoor sports. I get great IQ in good light and as Rick said it light weight and a perfect all day carry lens. I used it extensively last week in some densely wooded areas and it performed very well but at times struggled because of a lack of light. Image quality was tack sharp but I had to push the ISO so I ended up with some noise. Software took care of the noise in post.

For outdoor sports it has been fantastic, focus is fast and on my R6 it is easy to capture fast moving action. I would recommend it with the caveat that it needs light. I also added a after market lens hood since one doesn't come with the lens. 

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera?

The RF lens will not work on an EF mount camera.

But if you have an R, there is no contest. Go with the 100-400.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Excellent point and a good reason for me not to answer posts in the middle of the night. 😆  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements