cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM?

pravin7646
Apprentice

I currently have a crop sensor camera, with an 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm lens and i was looking to upgrade, and this lens popped up in my head, because i can get one for a reasonable price. I wanted to check what you all have to say about it before i think of getting one.

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It duplicates a range of focal lengths that you already have.  

I used to own both lenses.  I think the sharpness from the 24-105mm will be very similar to your 18-135mm.  Depending on your camera body, you might see slightly better looking colors from the 24-105, but that is about it.  

The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM does suffer from “lens creep.”  Lens creep means if you set the zoom to some midrange value, let’s call it 50mm, then zoom setting my change if you point the camera directly up or directly down.  In fact, you do not even need to point straight up or down.  Any angle short of horizontal may do it.  It varies from one copy to the next.

Is it worth the purchase?  That decision is entirely up to you.  If you do not have lenses that cover other focal lengths, then I would give that more weight when it comes to a lens purchase.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

I agree with @Waddizzle. If your moving to Full Frame this would be a better choice compared to the EF-S 18-135mm. You'll be able to use the Full image circle of the lens compared to being restricted by the APS-C image circle of the 18-135mm lens. When being used on a Full Frame R Series camera. When an EF-S or RF-S lens is used on a Full Frame R Series camera. The image sensor capacity is reduced by a factor of 2.5x. For instance the R5 is 45 megapixels in Full Frame mode. But in APS-C (1.6x crop) mode the camera is now only 17.3 megapixels.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Announcements