cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma lens won't easily fit on EOS Rebel T5

Gaetan
Apprentice

Hello everybody,

does anyone ever tried to mount a Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM on a Rebel T5 camera ?

regardless to the lense specification, it should work with EF mount, but I didn’t succeed. I had to force a bit, but even with that it wasn’t possible. Then I stop to not damage my equipment. 

thanks a lot 🙏

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The Sigma 150 - 600 Contemporary or Sport (for Canon EF) will fit and mount on a T5.  It does not require any special adapters, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Ok thanks you. 
That’s so strange then. I guess it’s better not to force in any case. Should enter easily, maybe i am doing something wrong.

But I still have an interrogation. Is that normal that the lense and my camera don’t have the same number of little points for the connection?

IMG_3944.jpeg

IMG_3947.png

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Match the red dots on the body and lens.  Mate the lens mount (camera) with the lens flange (lens) together evenly.  Then gently twist clock-wise.  If this doesn't work, the lens flange is damaged or the lens you have is not for Canon EF.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Shadowsports,

thanks a lot for the time you spend to help me and your quick answers !! 🙂

Okay, I think I was doing it properly but gonna try one more time. 

I was also speaking about this number that is not the same on the body and on that Sigma lens. Is that something strange or doesn’t it matter??

IMG_3949.jpeg

Shadowsports is correct.  Match the red dot on the lens with the red dot on the camera body.  I am confident that your lens is for the Canon EF mount.  It looks arguably identical to the mount on my Sigma 35mm Art lens.

I used use a Sigma 150-500mm with my T5.  While the rig can be used handheld, I strongly recommend using a tripod or monopod with a monopod head.  Whether shooting handheld or from a tripod, I recommend disabling OS in the lens and using a minimum shutter speed of at least 1/1000 to 1/1600.  To use these shutter speeds, you need a bright sunny day.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Lenses with longer FL and some macros have 3 additional contacts for communication.  Your mount looks correct Canon EF.    The head of the screw closets to the red alignment mark appears scored.  It might be that someone just tightened the screw holding the bayonet with the wrong type of screwdriver, or something has been disassembled.

So next question.  Where did you buy this lens?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Gaetan and welcome to the forum:
Is this lens second-hand but new to you?   

Looking at the image that you included, I am concentrating on the screws towards the bottom of the screen.  It might be lens distortion from the image itself, but the bottom left screw looks like it is not fully down, and the one on the lower right, just past the red dot, definitely seems to be burred or worn .  Finally, the engagement lug (the hole to the right or above it again), looks to have some sign of wear - it seems to be showing a gold reflection, but that might be a play of light.

My temptation is to suggest that if this is a second-hand lens, it has been played with by someone who is not a trained technician and has possibly removed the mount and not put it back properly.   Sigma does have a service where one can have a mount switched, say from Nikon to Canon or Sigma, but they would never leave the mount with burred screws.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Interesting question and replies. In my experience, forcing anything tells me something is wrong. Back up and determine why things don't fit. I have the Sigma 150-600mm Sport lens; does a much better job than I'm capable.

Thanks to all who read any inquiry and supply answers!

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

All the answers above are guesses. At this point, you need to seek out someone personally that is more camera savvy and have them check it out. With out hands on none of use can say for certain.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements