cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma lens inquiry

Jaylamarr23
Contributor
I have a question, I have just recently bought a used sigma 18-35mm from a retailer for my canon 80d that stated it was for Nikon however I’ve done my research and know that the lens itself supports canon and certain other cameras with an APS-C sensor, by the retailer stating that the lens is for Nikon does that mean that I would need to buy a canon mount or no because I know it does give the option to choose what mounting you need between the two but I didn’t think in my case that it wouldn’t. Does anyone know the answer to this?
13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Sigma lenses are mount specific.  

If you have a nikon mount, it won't fit or work with your 80D (period).

Return it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Jaylamarr23
Contributor
Would I not be able to use a canon mount instead?

Absolutely.

18-35.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Jaylamarr23
Contributor
Is there a specific mount that I need or is it just a plain canon mount

You don't understand. You don't get a mount for a sigma lens. Some lenses come as Nikon mount, and some lenses come as Canon mount. You cannot interchange them.

Switching mounts is something the factory would have to do, and I don't know if they can.

Jaylamarr23
Contributor
So no adapter or anything would work there is no way around using the lens for my canon is what you’re telling me I’m not going against anything I get it but all i was trying to see is there a way around it to still be able to use the lens

When you get a sigma lens, you have to ensure that the mount is correct. There is no way to adapt it.

"There is no way to adapt it."

Actually there is....

"All lenses from SIGMA's new three product lines (Contemporary, Art, Sports) will qualify for this paid “Mount Conversion Service”. It enables customers to convert the mount of their current lenses, and we will change the relevant parts for a different mount and its internal core system accordingly."

Sigma has offered this service for some time now.  However, I hope the OP knows or realizes this is not a free service. The OP is far better off to return the lens and buy the correct one.  Plus the OP needs to find a more honest or at least knowledgeable dealer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Jaylamarr23
Contributor
It’s ok I ended up cancelling the order I’m just going to buy the lens today from a vendor that’s selling them. I knew it was going to be a risk getting it and I had doubts that I may or may not have been able to use it or if I needed an adapter I just needed more clarity and y’all gave it to me
Announcements