cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM lense on 60D?

jaymack
Enthusiast

Very new to Canon DSLR's, have a new 60D body and was going to buy STM 18-55 lense but camera store guy said it doesn't work with 60D. Which lenses are okay for camera. I want to start with 18-55 until I figure things out. I've worked docs with big HD cameras but I haven't touched an SLR nor DSLR for years.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Danny

Hi, jaymack!  

The Canon EOS 60D is compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses.  That means the camera will indeed use the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, right out of the box.

We hope this helps!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Danny

Hi, jaymack!  

The Canon EOS 60D is compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses.  That means the camera will indeed use the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, right out of the box.

We hope this helps!

thanks very much, one more question; what is the difference between the STM and the previous 18-55?

Hello, jaymack!

STM lenses' primary advantage is a much quieter drive system in their autofocus, allowing cameras equipped with the Movie Servo AF feature to use continuous autofocus during movie shooting without the focus motor's noise being picked up by the camera's built-in microphones.

You can learn more about the different lens drive systems, including STM and Ultrasonic Motor (USM), at http://bit.ly/IAumht

Everyone forgets about the speciality lenses... you can also use the TS-E (tilt-shift) and MP-E (macro photo) lenses.  Basically the entire EOS lens lineup will work on the 60D *except* for the new "EF-M" lenses that were made specifically for use with the EOS-M body (and that's only two lenses and one of them is also made in an EF-S version.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

thanks again, somewhat confusing, though, I got this from Canon, was considering this but now realize STM is okay;

Standard Zoom Lens Item Code 9475A002 EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 USM 10512 A standard zoom exclusively for the EOS Digital Rebel and EOS 20D SLR cameras with APS-C size image circle equivalent to an approx. 28-90mm focal length. The lens can only be mounted on the Digital Rebel, EOS 20D, EOS 30D, Digital Rebel XT and Digital Rebel XTi with shorter back focus than ordinary EF lenses.)

So this means that my real choice is what you're saying, the STM lenses (18-55 or 18-135).

You're looking at VERY old information.

When Canon first introduced the "EF-S" lenses (which are made to work on camera bodies that have APS-C sensors) they only had a few bodies.  Keep in mind that the original EOS cameras were film cameras.  The EOS "EF" lenses work with all EOS cameras (film or digital).  EF lenses project an image cricle large enough to cover a 35mm film sensor a "full frame" digital sensor.  EF-S lenses project a smaller image circle which is large enough to cover the APS-C size sensor, but not large enough for a full-frame digital sensor or a 35mm film frame.  

To avoid having someone attach an EF-S lens to a body that couldn't use it, they altered the shape of the mount -- basically they hollowed out an area where the rear-most element of an EF-S lens would need to fit on the camera (the rear-most element on an EF-S lens actually slightly protrudes into the camera body).  But they started doing this AFTER the EOS 10D was already on the market.  As a result, the EOS 10D is an APS-C camera... but EF-S lenses wont correctly mate to the body.  

That text would be a list of APS-C bodies on the market, at that time, which could use also use the EF-S lenses (and you'll notice it's everything except the 10D).

On your 60D, what you need to know is that you can use EVERY Canon EOS lens made *except* for the two new EF-M lenses made specially for the EOS-M.  If you were to get a Canon full-frame camera body someday, then you could continue to use all of your lenses *except* for the EF-S lenses on that full-frame body.

Today's list of lens types are:

EF:  works on all EOS camera bodies.  No restrictions.  This includes 35mm film, full-frame digital, crop-frame digital... you can even use them with the new EOS-M body if you use the adapter made for EOS-M.

TS-E:  specialty "tilt shift" lenses... these are basically also EF lenses and will work with all EOS camera bodies.

MP-E:  specialty "macro photo" lens (there's only one)... it is also basically an EF lens and works with all EOS camera bodies. 

EF-S:  short backfocus lens (projects a smaller image circle which is not large eough to completely fill a full-frame sensor)... these are compatible with all EOS cameras with APS-C size sensors *except* for the 10D.  This range includes all Rebels, all mid-range (2-digit numbers such as the 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, and the new 70D but not the 10D), and the 7D body.  They will not work with the 6D, 5D, or 1D series bodies because those cameras have larger sensors.

EF-M:  designed specifically for the new EOS-M (mirrorless) body.  EF-M lenses only work with the EOS-M body.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim, everything I ever wanted to know -- and more!

Thanks very much, all of you, to a neophyte DSLR guy, I'm primarily using the camera for video for simple docs that don't require bigger cameras with budgets.

Gonna be interesting going backwards in focusing rather than Auto Focus. Reminds me of my first Arri BL.

jamos2005
Apprentice

Will someone please tell me what the STM abbreviation standa for.  Yes, I am really new to the DSLR cameras though I have been a proud A-1 & AE-1 owner for 20+ years.  Its time to move on but I'm getting stumped by acronyms.  Thanks!! 

I put "Canon STM" in my favorite web search site and got an answer just a milisecond later. Just saying...

Announcements