cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend any RF or RF-S lenses for my new EOS R7

grino
Apprentice

Been shooting on a 4000D as my first camera for around 5 years and recently upgraded to an r7 as I've really enjoyed nature photography. I've been using the kit lense that came with it for about a week and was wondering what everyone's favourite lense is. I don't want to spend too much right away as I work minimum wage but I was looking at either a 600mm f11 or a 100-400mm f5.6-8 would anyone recommend any other lenses for natur photography?

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Without an actual budget number we can recommend only generally. It would be interesting to know what your current kit lens is.

There are many, many different kinds of wildlife - from small birds to macro predators like bears, so some clarification in that direction would be helpful. All that said, I suspect you will get more mileage with the RF 100-400 lens because of its flexibility for a range of subject.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I agree with Trevor's recommendation.  Fixed focal length lenses are more special purpose and do not offer the versatility of a zoom.

The RF100-400 will be a great start.  As you gain more experience with your new camera.  You may find that you want more reach.  

At that point, the 600 or 800 f11 or the recently announced RF 200-800 might be an attractive option if any of these are within your budget.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements