cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye Compatibility

cacacacooo
Apprentice

What is the RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye compatible with?

The online marketing material looks outdated and only mentions the R5 for video. Any other cameras compatible or will become compatible soon? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The User Manual states two compatible cameras as of March 2022: The R5 and R5C.  It also contains a note that it is not supported on all R-series cameras and may lead to issues with camera operation if not used with a compatible camera.  For the R5 and R5C, you'd need appropriate firmware as well.

Note that the lens was also designed for full frame cameras.  So the EOS C70 (Super 35 sensor) and R7/R10 (APS-C sensor) wouldn't benefit anyhow if supported since the angle of view would be less.

The online VR Recording Guide also only mentions the R5 and R5C.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

All R series bodies are compatible with RF and RF-S lenses. The R3, R6, R6 Mark II, R7, R10, R, RA and RP are all compatible with the RF 5.2mm F/2.8L Dual Fisheye lens.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

@deebatman316 Thanks for trying to answer my question. You would think that your very logical answer holds true but unfortunately it does not.

Anyone familiar with the Dual Fisheye know the real answer?

You can PM a well known forum user @tronhard for any lens related questions.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The User Manual states two compatible cameras as of March 2022: The R5 and R5C.  It also contains a note that it is not supported on all R-series cameras and may lead to issues with camera operation if not used with a compatible camera.  For the R5 and R5C, you'd need appropriate firmware as well.

Note that the lens was also designed for full frame cameras.  So the EOS C70 (Super 35 sensor) and R7/R10 (APS-C sensor) wouldn't benefit anyhow if supported since the angle of view would be less.

The online VR Recording Guide also only mentions the R5 and R5C.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

cacacacooo
Apprentice

Thank you both @rs-eos and @deebatman316.

I was hoping (since March) they would have included compatibility with the R, RP, R6, R3 etc. I guess I’ll just have to wait longer and see about the R6 II.

MilwaukeeMax
Apprentice

I'd like to know the answer to this with regards to the R6 mark ii which is quite new and a lot of user manuals/literature aren't up-to-date with referencing it for compatibility yet. 

My understanding is that the higher resolution of the R5 allows for better-looking 3D content when viewed in a VR headset, and I know the R6 mark ii only can shoot in 4K video, but it can record at higher frame rate in 4K than its predecessor, so I would want to know if anyone has actually TRIED using the dual fisheye lens with the R6 ii (not just referencing its manual), to see if it may be possible to record albeit slightly lower resolution 3D VR video.

Please do not comment in old threads. Please start a new thread for your question. Old threads may be missed.

-Demetrius

@MilwaukeeMax wrote:

I'd like to know the answer to this with regards to the R6 mark ii which is quite new and a lot of user manuals/literature aren't up-to-date with referencing it for compatibility yet. 

My understanding is that the higher resolution of the R5 allows for better-looking 3D content when viewed in a VR headset, and I know the R6 mark ii only can shoot in 4K video, but it can record at higher frame rate in 4K than its predecessor, so I would want to know if anyone has actually TRIED using the dual fisheye lens with the R6 ii (not just referencing its manual), to see if it may be possible to record albeit slightly lower resolution 3D VR video.

The feature is limited to the R5 and R5C at the present time.  I do not foresee the feature being added to the lower resolution camera bodies with a firmware update.

Just to be clear, this is a user forum.  This is not Canon Support.  If you wish an official response to your question from Canon, then I suggest that you contact them directly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

nigeljbrown
Apprentice

Can someone please tell me if Canon will make the R8 compatible with this VR lens?  If the R8 and R6 Mark ii are identical in sensors and systems then shouldn't this be an easy addition?  

Announcements