cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF-S10-18mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM compatibility with EOS R

gears4steam
Apprentice

Is the new (RF-S10-18mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM) lens compatible with an EOS R body?  Canon advertises the 10-18mm for the APS-C camera, but gives no additional insight if that discounts the use of a non-APS-C camera.  

Or as usual, am I reading too much into this?

Denver

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite

Yes, you can use any RF or RF-S lens on any R-Series camera.

However, when using an RF-S lens on a full frame R-Series camera, you'll need to use the 1.6x crop mode.  That will lead to images using 2.56 times less resolution then when using the full sensor.  2.56 x is found by squaring 1.6 (you have to apply the crop factor to both width and height dimensions; hence using its square).

The User Manual states on page 80 that when using EF-S lenses, the 1.6x crop will automatically be selected.  Not sure if it will also automatically do that for RF-S lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

RF-S lenses causes the camera to auto crop. Just like a Canon EF-S lens. Some third Party lenses may need to be set to 1.6x crop mode. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you Very much for your insight, it is appreciated! Both responses in the forum gave me the answer. 

Denver

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I am not a proponent of APS-C lenses on a FF body.  This lens will effectively turn the EOS R's 30.3MP images into 11.6MP images.

shadowsports_0-1699051217142.png

If you plan to put them on a smart phone or small prints, its probably fine. 

I would do some research as this is not something I would recommend due to this limitation   The RF 10-20 would be a better choice and will be available soon.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Plus your 10mm will no longer be 10mm. Full-frame models provide for a 1.6x crop corresponding to a section of the sensor similar in size to an APS-C size sensor. "The RF 10-20 would be a better choice and will be available soon." Bingo! 🤔

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements