cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 200-800 Lens Design Issue - Filter can't be used with hood

MadJack70
Contributor

A friend of mine was lucky enough to have received her Canon RF 200-800mm lens that she had ordered in Nov. 2023.  She has encountered an issue with the lens design.   The new lens does not appear to allow use of a filter while the lens hood is in place.  She and her camera shop have tried a number of different brands of filters, but none appear to allow the lens hood to be mounted while a filter is attached.  This seems to be a rather inexcusable design flaw on Canon's part.  When Canon technical support was contacted, no one appeared to know anything about the issue.  With the exception of this problem, she loves her new lens.  Has anyone else encountered this issue with this lens?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I may have found the answer.  Both users reporting issues have the "Promaster"

• Thread size: 95 mm
  • Outer diameter: 100 mm
  • Frame thickness: 8.2 mm
  • Lens thickness: 2.0 mm
  • Coatings: 22 layers
  • Light transmission rate: 98.2% (average at 400 - 700 nm)
  • Reflection: less than 0.3% (average at 420 - 680 nm)
  • UV cutoff: 390 - 400 nm
  • Made in Japan

The thread size is 95mm, the outside diameter is 100mm (thats +5mm) and the frame is 8.2mm tall.  The light transmission is 98.2.  I'd return or exchange it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

Rick strikes again!!!  👋👋👋   

That makes total sense - Promaster is not a highly-respected brand: far from it.  A filter should not exceed the barrel width of the lens unless they are being adapted for square filters to be attached, or adapting non-threaded filters, such as the SX70HS series.

When you consider the SIZE of the thing, both in terms of diameter and thickness, it's massive!   My own filters, which are Hoya, Sirui and B+W are about 5mm deep (for UV0 and protect ones).  Even my CPL filters would be not as thick this as that.  Amazing...

In comparison, for example the Sirui Ultra Slim S-Pro Nano MC Clear Protective Filter (95mm) has the following characteristics:

Light transmission 99%  vs. Promaster 98.2%

Filter Type UV / protect
Filter Factor 1x (0-Stop)
Circular Size 95 mm Filter Thread 
the outside rim dia. @ 96mm does not exceed the diameter of the filter ring on the lens
Coatings 22 layers of anti-reflective, hydrophobic UV coatings
Physical Features Slim
Filter Thickness 3.4 mm vs 8.2mm.
Filter Material Schott B270 glass for increased optical clarity as well as colour fidelity
Ring Material Aluminium

If one is going to invest a significant amount in a lens, it is not a good idea to get an inferior filter: - putting a rubbish filter on an expensive lens is like throwing away one's investment in quality.  Better filters to get would be the ones I listed,  even Kenko. Usually they are multi-coated optical quality such as Schott glass.  

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks so much for figuring out the cause of the problem for my friend.  As I mentioned previously, when my wife's RF 200-800 lens arrived, we had no problems with the hood while using B+W or Canon filters.  These were the only 2 brands I had on hand.   I have confirmed that my friend had a Promaster filter, but still do not know what other filters were tried at her Canon dealer.  Perhaps they were also cheap filters.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This was a cumulative effort and culmination of a great many minds.  I am fortunate and grateful to be amongst you.  😍 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick you are as gracious as you are knowledgeable, and in both you excel.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements