cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 15-35mm Moiré pattern when stacking multiple night shots.

CarmenT
Contributor

I have noticed this problem several times now with night shots taken on this lens when stacking multiple images in either StarStax of Starry Landscape Stacker (sequator). The water area gets a very weird pattern/texture in it which is not present in any of the single images. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is it a lens or software issue? Thank you for any suggestions as to what the problem could be. 

StarTrails_RDriver_lowres-.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would suggest and how I used to do it was no editing before. Do that after stacking. Stacking works best when the shots are exactly alike. Editing can add or remove artifacts which may be good and or bad. Also I would turn off and exposure enhancements in camera. Let the raw image be the raw image.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you! Those are useful suggestions. I do have all enhancements turned off in camera but did apply some basics edits before stacking so will retry with the images as SOOC. 

No edits before stacking has helped a lot! Thank you for that tip.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you are using Lightroom processed images then it is a Peter says - lens correction is turned on. I found the same issue. It may also happen with other processing software, but I only have experience with Lightroom.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If Image Stabilization is enabled, turn it off.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, Image Stabilization was turned off. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Basically what we are all saying is just use the unmolested raw image. Then do any edits you see fit after stacking.

I, too, now only use Lightroom.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements