cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-500 tripod ring won't tighten sufficiently

jkphoto
Apprentice

I have recently purchased an RF 100-500 lens and am very happy with its performance so far.  However, the tripod ring does not seem to tighten sufficiently to prevent the lens/camera from rotating.  Any advice/solution would be greatly appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18

gillfoto
Apprentice

Just got my new lens 1st of the month, I'm having the same issue; hate to have to use pliers/vice grip to tighten as that would certainly disfigure the quality finish, suggestions?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This issue is a recurring topic in these forums.  It seems that you must close and align it caarfully when you replace it after removing it.  Also, it does not take more than a full turn to loosen it sufficiently for it to rotate.  It seems that over loosening it is where most people are getting into trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

elmo
Contributor

The knob is spring loaded. Taking off: Make sure you are pulling on the knob as you loosen it while also pulling up on the clamp side. Reinstalling: Pull on the knob before closing the clamp, then tighten the knob once the clamp is fully aligned. The knob shouldn't take more than your fingers to tighten. Not pulling on the knob while closing and opening the clamp can damage the knob or the clamp area where it contacts. Inspect the knob and clamp and make sure there is no damage to either. If you suspect damage, replace the mount. 20230612_132611.jpg20230612_133515.jpg

Thanks for the response and the pictures.  I am familiar with the spring action of knob. There does not appear to be any damage on either side and the ring seams to line up properly on the lens when attached. I have tried several times to remove and reattach however when mounted to the tripod it is fairly easy to rotate the camera/lens unit.  This may be advantageous if someone wants to quickly change from landscape to portrait but I do not believe this is the intent. Lens stability is paramount.  I will call Canon support and see what they suggest. Right now it would be very inconvenient to be without the lens if it needs to be returned.  I Purchased it last November so it is still under warranty.

IMG_6295.JPGIMG_6296.JPGIMG_6298.JPG

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks for posting these images.  I've been meaning to do it myself.  I'll try and add some of my own this evening.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

quattrocoupe
Apprentice

I've had the lens collar repaired 3 times in the last year for this very issue. There are felt pads under the tripod collar that get compressed over time allowing the collar to turn. Canon has replaced the collar twice and the felt pads once, well technically twice on the same repair. On this last repair a few days ago (Nov 2023) the tech replaced the original felt pads with longer and thicker ones. Hopefully this is the cure. Otherwise, I'll be back in 6 months. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

As mentioned earlier, this has been mentioned on a recurring basis.  I check my collar before each use.  The felt pads in my 70-200 and 100-500 are slightly compressed too, but I really have to forcefully twist the camera or lens for them to rotate.  By forcefully, I mean uncomfortably hard.  I would never under normal use put this "torque" on the lens.  Its just not needed.  I trust my collars.  I have 120mm lens plates installed full time and use them as carry handles.  I also have a BR wrist strap fastened to the bottom of my body.  This is always on my wrist unless I'm using a sports breathe and that has a secondary retention to the body as well.  (Broken record here) I don't think its worth holding $7k in one hand without a little security. 

The collars on the 70-200 and 100-500 are definitely different.  The 70-200's set screw has to be tightened further, and the 100-500, barely makes one full turn to close.  I do believe some people over tighten them which eventually leads to cam failure. 

There seems to be 2 scenarios. Either the collar was defective from the start, or the collar's knob has been torqued on (too tight).  Both of mine are finger tight.  Thats it.  The new collar on the RF 200-800 is super slick and even has detents so you don't have to look and line up tiny red lines.  I'm pretty sure the 24-105Z will have this too.  

For others:

Using a loose or floppy collar is not worth it.  Canon wants its customers to be happy and for their equipment to be safe.  If your collar is not secure, contact support.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

elmo
Contributor

My lens recently started turning in the collar. It's still under warranty. Canon wanted me to send in the lens with the collar. I told them I wasn't comfortable doing that and they offered to send me a prepaid FedEx label. But it would take 7-10 days ground shipping with a return shipping of 2nd day once repaired/collar replaced. So I was looking at aproximately 2 weeks with out the lens. I ended up just ordering a new collar. It's $200+ SH/tax, but I won't be out of my lens for 2 weeks. And if something were to happen if I were to ship the lens back, I wouldn't have to jump through red tape making a claim with the shipper. If you ever had to go through that you know it's a nightmare to make a claim. Although if Canon is paying for shipping, it would be on them.
Looks like there is a new part number for the replacement collar:
YG2-4757-010        RING ASS'Y, TRIPOD MOUNT            1    198.32      198.32
I saw in another thread that the original collar number is YG2-4757-000

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Felt washers or spacers compress? I have used rubber washers from the hardware store to act as a lock washer or spacer. Compresses but retains thickness. I have also made a washer/spacer from a tire inner tube.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements