cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-500 tripod ring won't tighten sufficiently

jkphoto
Apprentice

I have recently purchased an RF 100-500 lens and am very happy with its performance so far.  However, the tripod ring does not seem to tighten sufficiently to prevent the lens/camera from rotating.  Any advice/solution would be greatly appreciated.

23 REPLIES 23

Thank very much for sharing this workaround, I'll try to do it to solve this issue.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Interesting repair technique.  It demonstrates 2 things.

A collar that wasn't assembled properly or one that has been over-tightened causing the retention collar to slip so the cam cannot be properly tightened.

It's certainly helpful.  

Canon support remains an option for in warranty or CarePak supported products. 👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Unfortunately, I sent my lens out for the Canon warranty on the loose ring mount and got my lens back with the exact same issue right out of the box. AND got charged for not only the shipping but the 'repairs' (that was later refunded after I complained profusely everywhere I could) even though they assured me beforehand that it would not be a charged repair. I am still stuck with an expensive lens with a loose mount ring that will not tighten. It cost me $90 to ship it to them for nothing- that I had to eat- they did not pay me back for that. They told me I could send it back AGAIN, shipping on me, again, no thanks. Clearly this is an issue they are unable to resolve. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Did you try the repair in the video above?  It looks pretty easy.  I wouldn't typically recommend self repair, but its not the lens, and you've already had the collar back to canon.    

The parts dept. is also a good way to go if the pads on the inside of the collar have compressed to the point that slipping occurs.  

Canon Parts Order Desk
1-866-481-2569

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements