cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent the RF 100-500 from Shutting Off Stabilization on Tripods?

InternalRevenue
Contributor

Hello all,

R7 and RF 100-500mm owner here looking to see if there's a way to prevent the lens from automatically turning off it's stabilization in video mode when mounted on a tripod, as it seems to do. I tested this with all three IS modes, at all levels of digital stabilization, and even mounted the camera body itself to the tripod instead of to the mount but it behaved the same with every condition.

Handheld, the stabilization works as one would expect, but about between 3-10 seconds after I mount it to a tripod (I use a quick attach adapter) it will seemingly shut off and any kind of tap, gentle movement, or even just half pressing the record button results in massive amounts of jitter (whether it’s recording or not changes nothing). BEFORE those 3-10 seconds however, the same tapping etc. movements are substantially dampened or even eliminated as presumably the IS is still active.

My previous lens was an EF 100-400ii with the 1.4x extender, and that did not suffer from jitter either at similar focal lengths, probably because the stabilizer was constantly running. Is there anyway to force the RF 100-500 to stay stabilized while on the same tripod as well, whether in-camera or some sort of lens setting? As of right now the thing is almost completely useless for tripod birding videos, and a heavier tripod is not an option due to being used on hikes.

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ … but about between 3-10 seconds after I mount it to a tripod (I use a quick attach adapter) it will seemingly shut off and any kind of tap, gentle movement, or even just half pressing the record button results in massive amounts of jitter (whether it’s recording or not changes … “

What type of tripod head are you using?  Make and model?  This sounds like a tripod and/or head issue, to me.  Sorry.  Does what your camera is looking at shift as you tighten down what ever type of head you are using shift as you tighten down the head.  If so, it shouldn’t;.

99266186-DB41-43C5-8F36-C06E5558CAE5.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm using the Manfrotto MVH500AH fluid video head on a Befree GT legs, also tried it with MT190CXPro3 legs with the same results. I even removed the quick attachments and tightened the lens mount on the MVH500AH's long plate as tightly as possible, also tightening every other adjustment knob to be sure. Same result, light taps on the camera body or fluid head lever produce a lot jitter after 3-10 seconds, but are dampened or eliminated before then.

Again, my previous lens the EF 100-400ii never had this jittering issue while the IS was on, not even with the 1.4x extender. It's a heavier lens, but only by 4 or 6 oz.

Hmm.  You didn’t answer all the questions. Does your view shift when you tighten down the head?

Does this happen in both stills and video modes?  Does this happen with all lenses?

What are you focusing on?  Does this still happen with AF disabled?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Not sure exactly what you mean by view shifting; it does vibrate when tightening but it returns to the original framing when it's done jittering. Just tested stills mode and it happens there too. Just tried out the ancient EF 100-400 mark 1 which I still have and it jitters to a lesser extent, and having IS on makes a difference despite being so primitive. The Sigma 18-35 doesn't do it with IBIS on, even magnified 10x. MF or AF, doesn't make a difference.

I'll try to leave a video link of it happening next reply but this forum has auto-moderated youtube links for me before.

Quick video example:

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings , 

Are you not using digital movie IS?

Going to watch your video now...

I have my RF 100-500 with me and just picked up a manfrotto be free carbon for this trip.  My head is QR too.  494.  Head not as nice as yours.  Manfrotto's goofy Arca Swiss version.  Still getting used to it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I've tried it with digital stabilization off, standard, and enhanced, and it jitters about the same no matter which is on.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

On foot today but plan to shoot video when we head up the Fjords tomorrow.  I'll post an update.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

As with still photography, Canon recommends disabling IS when you use a tripod.  

When using a tripod, setting Movie digital IS to [Off] is recommended.

• Depending on the subject and shooting conditions, the subject may blur noticeably (the subject momentarily looks out of focus) due to the effects of the Movie digital IS.

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R7 : Image Stabilizer (IS Mode) (start.canon)

Your tapping appeared to be a little extreme.  I'm not sure how you won't get this using a lightweight tripod.  Have you considered a gimbal?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements