cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RF full frame, what glass for Astro?

tiim
Apprentice

Hello everyone, 

My first post!

I have been a Canon user since the AE-1.

My first mirrorless camera was the original EOS-M (still have it).

I am finally upgrading to full frame after 10 years of APS-C, and bought an RP (I'm aware it's being discontinued soon) with the kit 24-105? lens and 16mm F2.8 on the second-hand market.

I decided to stick with Canon and not move to the Sony A7CII. My reason was the body size is great on the Sony, but any serious glass will negate that experience somewhat.

I am going on a trip to photograph the night sky. I have years of experience on APS-C doing this. I am looking at the Rokinon 14mm F2.8 manual lens and will likely buy that, as I am oh so familiar with my M6 (with tilting EVF, haha full-framers...) with the manual Rokinon F2.0 APS-C equivalent. I don't mind manual work, I feel it makes me a better photographer. Not using the viewfinder (because it dosent tilt on any modern Canon) will be a learning curve for me.

All this said, I see a really nice (and pricey to me) glass for Leica and Sony, the Sigma 14mm F1.4

I understand Canon hasn't allowed AF lenses for full frame RF yet, is there a faster, wide alternative to the Rokinon?

Again, I don't mind manual focus. I'm accustomed to using the zoom focus in the EVF on my M6. (which I'll never part with, such a great pocket camera with the 22mm pancake)

Asking you experts. I really want to get an R6 Mkii or Mkiii (if one comes out in 2025) for now, the RP is my big sensor with the M6 as my backup. Hey, they have the same battery!

Thanks everyone.

Tim (Tiim, long story...)

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements