cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marry your lenses? EF vs RF

farcas
Apprentice

I'm looking to get back into photography a bit more and I'm split between sticking with my old T3i, or going to mirrorless. It seems that EF mounts are no longer being invested into by the manufacturer. What's your perspective on whether the old adage of "date your camera, marry your lenses" still applies despite a new generation of technology, or if it's time to get with the time?

I'll note that I only have a couple of not-very-expensive EF lenses. While my old camera has been serving me well over the years, I believe IBIS, better sensor and better autofocus will help me get back into it.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I believe your assessment is correct.  There is nothing wrong with a T3i, but indeed, any MILC will outperform it.  Technoloy has improved to the point of making it obsolete in many regards.

Things to consider.  Are you attached to any of your lenses enough that you'd want to keep one?

What type of photography do you do most or want to do now?

What is your budget?

My preference is full frame, but that might not be the right choice for you.  Given the age of your gear, my inclination would be to walk away from all of it and start over.  Unless you have a lens that is so utterly wonderful that you don't want to live without it.  Based on your statements, it doesn't appear to be the case.  The T3i is 12 yrs old now.    

So taking into consideration the type of photography you enjoy, and your budget, we can make some recommendations and give you some options to think about.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Think about this, any R series camera will out preform and be a huge improvement over your Rebel T3i. Plus, any RF lens will out preform and be a huge improvement over your current ef-s lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements