cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 lens issue

Elwoodguy
Apprentice
Hi there. I’m ina bit of a jam. Recently bought the Canon M50. I have the EF M adapter for my EF lenses. Because I need a wide for my work, I just purchased the Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS lens for canon EF M mount.

I’ve fit it straight to the body, as it won’t fit the adapter, which I wasn’t aware of. So in my mind, if it fits directly onto the camera, it should work. It brings it up fine on my camera but it won’t record or take pictures. I guess I’ve missed something here. Please help. Thanks for your time, Guy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There is a settting in the menus that disables the shutter from being fired when there is no lens attached. By default, the shutter is disabled.  Your lens does not communicate with the body, so you need to enable the shutter to fire without a lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There is a settting in the menus that disables the shutter from being fired when there is no lens attached. By default, the shutter is disabled.  Your lens does not communicate with the body, so you need to enable the shutter to fire without a lens.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I guess I’ve missed something here."

Yes, I think so too.  That lens will never work well with your camera. It is totally manual and the camera doesn't even know it exists. Sell that lens and buy the very good and made especially for your camera EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.  You and your camera will be much happier.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I guess I’ve missed something here."

Yes, I think so too.  That lens will never work well with your camera. It is totally manual and the camera doesn't even know it exists. Sell that lens and buy the very good and made especially for your camera EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.  You and your camera will be much happier.

I say keep the lens.  It has a wider aperture.  The camera has focus peaking, so focusing the lens is not an issue.  Besides, the lens is so wide that you can focus at the hyperfocal distance, and shoot most anything without having to refocus the lens.

Another great lens is the Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM, and the Canon EF 32mm f/1.4 STM.

Elwoodguy
Apprentice
Thanks for all the help guys. Ironically the day after I posted my problem, the guy I bought it from found the solution too. As you can expect, I was extremely happy. It was all in the settings 😊. I’m keeping the new lens as I do properties as my main work load so I need a wide with a good F stop. It’s a 2 and with some good iso settings it going to work a treat. Plus it’s now a lot lighter in weight for my gimbal, I was starting to look a lil one sided lol.

Again, thanks for the help. I’m new here but now I know about this forum, it will certainly help when I come across a problem.

Take care and happy shooting everyone, Guy

hamed_y61
Contributor
Hi, l bout Rokinon12 mm for my Canon M50 and also I have the same issue, could you teach me too.
My Canon shutter button doesn't work.
Thanks

I don't have a M50 but there should be a setting in your menus that says shoot without a lens.  Just set that.

EB

hamed_y61
Contributor
I didn't find it
I tried everything in the setting
But I couldn't find,😭

Find page 5 of the settings menu (the one with the wrench). Click on Custom Functions. Then hit one of the arrows until the number on top is 3 and you'll see the option 'Release shutter w/o lens

EB

Thanks for this. New to camera and experienced same issue with manual lenses. Solved!

Announcements