cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for new lens

Karen_H
Apprentice

I have a T1i and am looking for a new lens for an upcoming trip to Italy.  I am currently using a 28-135 as my everyday lens and am wondering if there is a better option to use as my everyday lens over there to be able to capture the sights.  I am going to be bringing a 50 mm fixed but do not want to be bogged down with too many lenes 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is a great lens.  I would be willing to take it anywhere.

You said you have a 50mm f1.8, I will guess.  I would take what you have and add the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM or the new  EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM.

But the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and the 50mm f1.8 will cover "most" of what you will need.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Neither of your two lenses offer you any wide-angle options.  Do you not still have the "kit" 18-55mm lens?

The 28-135 is a nice general-purpose lens for a full-frame camera, but as you have a camera with an APS-C size sensor (which is a bit smaller than full-frame) you get absolutely no "wide angle" from a lens that can't shoot wider than 28mm.  

The EF-S 18-135mm would be a good choice as a single versatile "walk around" lens that offers some wide angle and some telephoto all in one package.  I would switch to that and leave the EF 28-135mm at home. 

Canon currently sells two versions of the EF-S 18-135mm... one has standard focusing motors (slower) and the newer version has the new STM focusing motors (faster focusing and also extremely quiet.)  The newer lens is (not surprisingly since it's new) also just a little bit better optically, but I think it retails for about $50 more.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

When I travel I prefer to take a 1 lens solution kit rather than an assortment of lenses. That said none of the superzooms go wide enough so I end up taking at least 2 lenses & neither are great in low light but I'm OK with that. For a crop body I like to have at least a 18-200 but thanks to the popularity of superzooms now they are available from 18 thru 300 from some manufacturers. You do give up a bit of IQ (or maybe a bit too much for some) with them but so far I've had pretty good results for the money spent relative to what I carried around day after day.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is a great lens.  I would be willing to take it anywhere.

You said you have a 50mm f1.8, I will guess.  I would take what you have and add the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM or the new  EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM.

But the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and the 50mm f1.8 will cover "most" of what you will need.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

+1.  General purpose lens, a wide angle, and a fast prime.  Nice trio for traveling without taking too much space or weight.

I own and love the EF-S 10-22, but if I were buying today I'd probably just get the new EF-S 10-18 at half the cost.

Announcements