cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens to buy

toby_ta
Apprentice

I'm going into sport photography, I only have a thousand dolllars to spare on a lens, what Lens can i buy? I use a Canon 7D

12 REPLIES 12

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... a 1.4X and that only gets you to 280mm."

Actually the effective focal length from a 1.4 converter on a 7D and a 200mm lens would be nearly 450mm.

Should be plenty of reach most of the time. But I, like some of the other replies, do not recommend using any converter on any lens. But in a pinch, it can be done.

I use a Sigma 1.4x with my Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 on my 7D and it actually works very well. The trade off is minimal.

It make a nice package but since it is a off-brand lens, I can not and do not recommend buying it used which would be necessary for your stated budget.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Actually the effective focal length from a 1.4 converter on a 7D and a 200mm lens would be nearly 450mm."

True, but the 1.6X conversion factor two-step shuffle often just confuses things unnecessarily.

If the original poster has never used a 35mm film or full frame sensor camera, they likely have no preconceptions about lens focal lengths. Theyre using an 18-135mm lens now, and asking for something longer... 'The 280mm achievable with a 1.4X teleconverter on a 70-200mm lens offers about double what's possible with the lens they already have.

Or - for about the same money or less - there are some lenses that reach 400mm or more without needing any teleconverter. That's 3X to nearly 4X what they have now. And it's actual 400mm or more, not some conversion factor.   

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Alan, you and I had to learn that. It is time he did also.

Explaining that a 200mm lens is going has the same requirements in technical use as a 450mm lens will make sense to most people. If not maybe they should consider golf as a hobby.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements