cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens recommendations for nail art tutorials and unboxings - I’m lost!

Jdimlet
Contributor

Hi there!

Total novice here so apologies in advance for my lack of terminology 🤣

I’m looking for a recommendation for a lens for filming high quality nail art tutorials as well as product unboxings.  So it needs to be great close up but also at a distance.

Budget absolute max £400 (happy to get second hand lens).

I currently have a 18-55mm macro 0.25m/0.8ft but the autofocus is playing up which seems to be a common complaint so I’m not too keen on looking at a repair.  I’ve tried the suggested fixes and no luck.

On manual focus it’s great but it’s very inconvenient to have to keep adjusting the focus during a tutorial.

Would really appreciate some recommendations!

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I’ve tried the suggested fixes and no luck." You tried this?

Take the lens off of your camera.
Put the lens in MF mode.
Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
Put the lens back on the camera.
Put the lens in AF mode.
Turn the camera on.
Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
Take a test photo.

By far the most important part of this situation is a good editor. Not the lens. You can get a very good one for free form Canon. It is DPP4 which you can d/l from the Canon website. Of course the ultimate is Photoshop but it is not free but how much do these photos mean to your and or your business? A poor lens and PS is better than a great lens and no PS or editor. 

If your lens works in MF than DPP4 is a very cheap way to solve your dilemma. "On manual focus it’s great ...", which  makes the instructions given above likely to work and restore your AF.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements