cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Upgrade

Liz22012
Contributor

Help....Canon ef 24-70mm f/4l is usm lens vs 24-105 f/4l is usm?
I shoot a lot of barns and landscapes. Not sure if I should upgrade from myCanon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens . 

16 REPLIES 16

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Here is a site I rely on for lens reviews:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks I will check it out.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Liz22012,

I really hate those reviews. I suppose you can read them for funsy but they tell little on how a lens will perform in the real world.

The best recommendations are from people that use the product without an ax or agenda. (Paid by a sponser.)

For what it is worth, my accessment of the EF 24-105mm f4L IS, it is the best buy in a Canon lens there is.  It may be the best lens you can buy period if you are going to have only one.  Couple that with the fact you may be able to find a 'white box' version.  It will be far less than the full retail price and is the exact lens with full Canon waranty.  They are also great lenses to buy on the used market.

I will assume you have a crop body camera since you indicated you have the kit lens.  The EF 24-105mm f4L IS will not be quite as wide as your lens.  But it will have much more reach on the tele end.  Sorta give to get.

Make no mistake the EF 24-105 f4L IS is a full on professional lens in every spec.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks ebiggs1. I mostly take pics of old bans and farmhouses.
Trying to find the best lens for this. I have 7d mk II.

You may find that the 24mm end isn't wide enough for you.

I suggest you set your current lens at 24mm and try some shooting? Is it OK or do you want wider? Deciding between 24-70 or 24-105 would be futile if you really want a 15 or 18mm wide end.

"L" lenses are great; I have several of them. You generally can't go wrong purchasing one, particualry the zoom versions. But, depending on your end use you may not need to features of an "L" lens? Are you printing large prints or are you sending digital files to a digital picture frame? Are you getting the quality you want from your current lens? Where is it holding you back?

You may be better served by getting the Canon EF-S 10-18mm wide angle and pair it with your current lens.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks. Sometimes the image seems soft. I do zoom into certain images this is why I was consider those lens.

Or better yet, pair the EF-s 10-22mm with the EF 24-105mm.  Smiley Happy  Now we'er talking as this is about as good as it gets.

Do you ever shoot HDR?  The photo below is an HDR shot with a 24mm lens.  Does it look like it will work for you?

_DSC5428_29_30HDR.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

That's it! No I have not.

Do you use photomatix?
Announcements