cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Compatibility with Canon Rebel EOS T3

sfmorgan88
Apprentice

I am taking a trip to Yosemite soon and looking to rent a lens for the trip.  Any suggestions?  

One of the lenses I have seen on other forums is the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III...is this lens compatible with my camera??

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Yes, it is compatible. I also suggest one of the 150 - 600 mm zooms for wildlife. I used mine all the time at Yosemite.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III will mount on your T3, and will operate just fine, but….. It is a very expensive ultra wide angle lens, designed for expensive Full Frame cameras. If you use it on your T3 “crop sensor” camera, it will not provide you with the ultra wide angle view it was designed for. There are many other lens options available for your T3 that cost far less. You might even be able to buy one for the amount that the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III would rent for. 

What lenses do you have now? 
Are you looking for an ultra wide angle lens?

Two good options ultra wide options for your T3 are the EF-S 10-18 STM and the EF-S 10-22 USM. 

Mike Sowsun

I have the basic lenses....nifty 50, EF18-55, and EF 55-250.  

Thank you for your suggestions!!!!  I put my camera down for a while and decided I should pick it back up since taking this trip out to Yosemite and Sequoia.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Your camera natively mounts EF & EF-S lenses. RF, RF-S & EF-M lenses are NOT compatible with your camera. I provided a list of compatible lenses below. Note since your using an APS-C camera there will be a 1.6x crop factor. The 16-35mm lens you listed will have an Angle of View of 25.6-56mm when compared to full frame. The lens won't be as wide as if you used it on a full frame camera. If you want an ultra wide lens for APS-C look into the 10-18mm STM or the 10-22mm USM lenses. The 10-22mm provides the exact same field of view as the 16-35mm.

Camera 

Type 

EF Full Frame DSLR (Red Dot Mounting Index)*5 EF-S APS-C DSLR  (White Square Mounting Index)*2 EF-M (White Dot Mounting Index)RF Full Frame Mirrorless (Red Oval Mounting Index)*4 RF-S (APS-C) Mirrorless  
Full Frame DSLR & EOS Film SLR ie 5D, 6D & 1D seriesYesNo No No No 

*5 APS-C  DSLR Rebel/ Kiss/ XXXD/ XXXXD series & XXD series

YesYesNo No No 

*2 EOS M 

Series ie M5, M6, M3, EOS Kiss M

Yes *1Yes *1YesNoNo
EOS R Series Full Frame ie R6, R5, R8, Yes *1Yes *1 *3NoYesYes *3

*4 EOS R Series APS-C ie R7, R10, R50 & R100

Yes *1Yes *1NoYesYes

*Natively Mounts No mount adapter needed

* Not compatible won't mount at all

*1 Compatible with a Mount Adapter 

*2 Note EF-M is a DISCONTINUED lens mount that was used on ALL EOS M series cameras. EF-M lenses CAN NOT BE ADAPTED for use on other Canon EOS cameras. They ONLY work on EOS M series cameras.

*3 Image sensor capacity reduced by 2.5x (APS-C lens 1.6x crop)

*4 Note RF-S is NOT a separate mount. Instead its an RF Mount lens with an APS-C Image Circle. "-S" means small image circle meaning smaller than FF or 35mm film.

*5 Note EF-S IS A Separate DSLR crop sensor ONLY Mount. Note early APS-C cameras MUST USE Full Frame EF lenses. These cameras are the EOS D30, EOS D60 and EOS 10D. DO NOT confuse these cameras with the EOS 30D and EOS 60D.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" looking to rent a lens for the trip.  Any suggestions?  One of the lenses I have seen on other forums is the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III..."

For what it is going to likely cost you to rent the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III, you could buy the EF-S 10-18 STM. Unless you are renting one of the super big white lenses renting is usually not a cost effective way to go. Especially when you consider you can sell the lens after the trip if you decide you no longer need it. I have been in the business for over five decades and the number of lenses I have rented is less than five, way less!

I also totally agree with Mr. Barkley get one of the 150-600mm super zooms. If you need to help finance it sell the 55-250mm. I would urge you to do that today so you can get some hands on time with the 150-600mm. Get its feel and characteristics before the trip. A monopod might be a good idea too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements