cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landscape/portrait lenses for EOS R5

mcmin
Apprentice

I have an R5 and a 5D Mark IV. I have an EF 24-70mm f/4 and Sigma EF 14-24mm f/2.8. I have so far only used the R5 for wildlife with the 100-500mm, but would like to get one or two other lenses to cover wider angles. I've been happy with the EF lenses I currently have. However, I need to be able to use both cameras simultaneously for an upcoming project so an adapter won't work for me.

I enjoy landscape photography as well as architecture and street photography, particularly at night. I travel quite a bit so lighter is nicer, but I don't mind weight if it means a superior lens. I'm also going to be shooting some interviews so am looking for a lens that would also be good for that. I would like to keep the price under $2500 (per lens, if getting two would be the better option).

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I got the RF 14-35 f/4L IS USM lens and love it.  It is much lighter than the 15-35 f/2.8L, more compact and cheaper, and IMHO there is not much between the optics, and at the wide end, 1mm can make a difference.  Also, the 14-35 lens will take a conventional 77mm filter without an adapter, which is great if you want it for specific effects like ND or CPL.
This is a in-depth review by Justin Abbott, made before the availability in RAW corrections for Adobe, so keep that in mind.

The lens apparently shoots at about 11mm, with significant vignetting and some distortion, and uses that 3mm with computational algorithms to clean everything up so that lines are straight and no vignetting that I have observed, even with a CPL.  This is automatically done in-camera with JPGs and also done as a part of lens corrections that are applied automatically as RAW files are brought into Adobe software - why anyone would want to turn this off is beyond me. Many of the earlier reviews did not have access to the Adobe corrections, so at the time they were critical of this, but since the corrections have been made available, I see no issue and expect this correction technology to be applied in more lenses in the future - it is already for the RF 24-240 and, of course, has been used extensively in cell phones for a long time. 
These were shot in RAW, brought into PS with auto correction applied, and reduction in file size to fit this site.
EOS R6, RF14-35L@35mm, f/20, 15sec, ISO-100EOS R6, RF14-35L@35mm, f/20, 15sec, ISO-100  R6, RF 14-35@22mm, f/18, 15sec, ISO-100R6, RF 14-35@22mm, f/18, 15sec, ISO-100

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements