cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a teleconverter available that will mount to a Canon EF S lens?

Birdog638
Apprentice
I have a new Rebel T5i with EF S lenses but I Alamo have a Kenko 2X teleconverter. As I understand the Kenko will not mount to the EF S lens. Are there teleconverters available that will mount to EF S lenses?
19 REPLIES 19

cicopo
Elite

You may find something to physically fit but depending on the lens you'll most likely loose AF or drastically limit it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes, not a stellar idea.  Don't do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The "S" in EF-S stands for "Short backfocus".  The rear-most element on an EF-S lens sits farther back than it does on an EF lens... and typically proturdes just slightly beyond the lens mounting flange.  The lens is designed to mount on something with a hollow cavity to accomodate the short backfocus.  Teleconverters aren't unlikely to provide enough space.

But that's just the "tip of the iceberg".  

When you use a teleconverter, you have to multiply both the focal length AND the focal ratio by the teleconverter factor.  It's the focal ratio that can be a problem.  I'll use an example to illustrate why.

Suppose you have a Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 lens and, hypothetically, you found a 2x teleconverter for it.  This would convert the lens into a 36-270mm (that part makes sense) lens with an f/7-11 focal ratio range.  Notice how I had to multiple the focal ratios?  

The "problem" with this, is that camera generally cannot auto-focus at high focal ratios.   The Canon 1D X and 5D III can both auto-focus at f/8... but that's it.  No other Canon camera can do this (and it's the same for Nikons... most cannot).  They're designed to auto-focus up to f/5.6 and there are 3rd party lenses where f/6.3 might be the best you can do... and AF works on them -- but you're really pressing the limits at that point.    This means you might get the lens to focus at f/7... but that's only available when you're zoomed all the way "out" to the 36mm end.  As soon as you zoom IN (and the whole point of the teleconverter is to let you zoom in more becuase the lens would have provided 36mm natively without using the 2x teleconverter) you're jumping up beyond f/8 where there's absolutely no way the AF system is going to work.

The focal ratio limits for the AF system aren't arbitrary.  If I hand you a 35mm film camera with manual focus and a split prism focusing aid in the viewfinder, but dial the focal ratio down to f/8 and have you try to focus with it, what you'll discover is that you can get one half of the split prism "moon" to show the image but the other half will be black.  Barely move your eyeball and they'll reverse... the other half is visible but the first half is now black.  It's near impossible to get both halves visible at the same time to allow focus because of the way the prisms work (even manually).

Teleconverters work best on lenses that have low focal ratios to begin with... e.g. f/2.8 lenses when using a 2x teleconverter (which turns it into an f/5.6 lens) or f/4 lenses if using a 1.4x teleconvert (which also turns it into an f/5.6 lens).

But even after all of that... the teleconverter will noticeably degrade your optical quality.  It's never as good as if you didn't have to use a teleconverter.  

I have a Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens... that was a pretty expensive piece of glass (I think it was around $4k).  If I put a 2x teleconverter on it (and I can -- it works)... I get optical quality out of it that looks like I bought a $200 lens.  

Part of the reason this happens is teleconverters are a bit generic.  They aren't tuned for one specific lens.  Canon makes an $11k lens with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter and it's remarkable.  But that built-in TC was optimized and tuned for that one lens only.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim,

Thanks for the technical response to my question.  Based on your response I will rethink my approach and may ulitmately purchase a suitable lens to accent my equipment that will not rely on a teleconverter.

Kenko makes a converter that will "mount" to a consumer (EF-S) level lens.  But I still say it is a bad idea and not recommended by me.  Plus the fact it isn't a Canon product. Smiley Sad

EB

riffman2015
Contributor

Hi, I was looking for a TC too but there isnt any, but I got a solution, you can modify the EFS mount by taking it off the lens and cutting away the pretruding plastic, its not the best solution but if your careful you should be ok, it worked for me and I have a Canon EFS 55-250 STM IS on a Kenko 2 x TC and its pretty amazing considering, there are web pages which show you how to do the mod, it will obviously void ny warranty but I love this lens and now its even better, Its now a 110 to 500mm lens on a crop sensor like mine that equates to approx 800mm on top end, Pete

And now you have a f8-11 very marginal lens!  I hope you have plenty of light, like manual focus and nothing is moving.

BTW, never mount a "modified" EF-S lens directly on a FF camera.  Nothing good will come from that. Smiley Surprised

EB

F8 yes it aint the fastest and its manual focus which i dont mind. I already had the lens and a TC for my Magic Drainpipe, It produces very good results even in average conditions, the lens is really well balanced with the weight of the camera so its easy to hold it very steady, I have some very good pics shot at 1/8 second , What i am saying is it is possible to get this lens workinf with a TC, there are better options out there but the results are as good as my Tokina ATX 80 - 400 and my Sigma Fixed 500mm, thanks

Could you possibly post one of your "good results"?  Smiley Indifferent  Especially the hand held one at 1/8th.  I am very interested in seeing it.

EB
Announcements