cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Stabilized Lenses for the 5D Mark II Full-Frame?

stevefoobar
Contributor

Hi Everyone,

For some reason, I'm having difficulty getting straight answers on the net about finding a list of image stablized lenses that would work with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II which has a full-frame sensor. I would like to get a list of both Canon and third-part lenses that are compatible (Sigma, Tokina, Tamron).

Maybe I'm missing something and maybe NO image stabilized lenses are compatible.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

How about this?

https://www.neocamera.com/list_lenses.php?mount=canon&crop=1 

I am surprised that you would suggest that there are no IS lenses available for your 5dII.  There are tons of them!!! 

If you look at the link I sent you you can drill down to different parameters along the top selectors.  I have already set the link to FF (i.e. EF lenses) which are what you want.   Still,  you might want to narrow down the search more with the top right selector to elimenate discontinued ones.

TO see if a lens is stabilized then look to the icons on the right side of the list.  The first of those (with a lens and arrows) tells you if they are stabilized.

It's a big list, but you asked for it...

If this resolves your question, please click on the SOLVED icon for this thread so anyone knows there is an appropriate answer.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@stevefoobar wrote:

Hi Everyone,

For some reason, I'm having difficulty getting straight answers on the net about finding a list of image stablized lenses that would work with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II which has a full-frame sensor. I would like to get a list of both Canon and third-part lenses that are compatible (Sigma, Tokina, Tamron).

Maybe I'm missing something and maybe NO image stabilized lenses are compatible.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

You realize, I presume, that on any Canon DSLR, the image stabilization is entirely in the lens? So any Canon IS lens with an EF mount will work. The EF 24-105mm f/4 and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 are two that I would unhesitatingly recommend.

Hi Bob

I think the OP is looking for EF lenses with IS... and of course lots of EF lenses don't have IS.  He is also looking for non-Canon lenses so if that is what he wants, the list will be long - as you will see in my link.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure any IS lens with an EF mount would work in a full-frame camera like the 5D Mark II. This helps.

12 REPLIES 12

Thanks. This makes sense too.

This takes me back to a discussion that I am currently having on another forum:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1512636

An effective image is made by the photographer, not the technology.  The tech will improve your reach, and may inrease your hit rate, but in the end it's your mastery of the holy trinity of exposure: ISO, shutter speed and aperture; plus a study of composition that is never ending.

Don't get me wrong, I love the technology - heaven knows my gear list attests to that, but I have never subscribed to the theory that better equipment will make me a better photographer.  Every time it's tech over technique, despite what camera equipment makers would woo us with.

Certainly a super telephoto lense like that 150-600 made it possible to get that shot, but I could have turned off the IS and put the lens on a tripod or monopod and likely got  a few good shots.  I shoot hand-held almost all the time, but I do weight training specifically to ensure I have the strength and motor skills to hold a heavy camera and lens.

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks for the advice. That all makes sense. That's a great image and a great use of IS!

Announcements