cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am looking for suggestions on a telephoto lens to mount on the Canon 70D.

SheilaMarie
Contributor

I am looking for suggestions on a telephoto lens to mount on the Canon 70D.

I have a Tamron lens; however it is not functioning correctly, not focusing. I called Tamron and they want me to send in my lens and camera.

I enjoy wildlife/bird/nature shooting.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Not much wrong with your blog especially the macro side of it which isn't one of my interests as a photographer but I do enjoy looking at what others capture. Without knowing how deep you had to crop many of the bird & other animal photos my only recommendation for a new lens is the 100-400 L IS which may seem a bit heavy in the beginning but it's a great lens once you get used to the push / pull zooming & weight. It may be worth investigating & maybe worth renting for a week or so. It can get you very nice detailed shots when used in decent light at reasonable shutter speeds thanks to a good IS system. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

While on the subject, a good sturdy tripod is always good such as the Manfroto Pro190. And of course the post processing software of which Photoshop is the best. There are others but none in the same calss as PS..

If I had used my tripod on the hummingbirds, I could have gotten a much better, sharper photo. But hummingbirds are quick and like I say are difficult to capture.

Here I am on a recent Senior Photo shoot. One of the Mom's caught this on her cell and thought it cool to stick me on her Facebook. Oh, my!  Smiley Frustrated

1.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

cicopo
Elite

We'll need more info re what other lenses you have & what Tamron you are having problems with PLUS budget etc.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

First, let me thank you for responding, second to let you know, I am an amateur photographer and third I love your quote!

I enjoy, as I said, taking photos of nature, wildlife, flowers, plants and birds.

I have the following equipment:

Canon Rebel T3

*Canon EFS 19-55mm lens stabilizer

*Canon Zoom Lens EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III

*kit lenses

Canon Macro EF-S 60MM 1:2.8 USM

Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 (I used this lenses most of the time on my Rebel T3

New purchase: Canon 70D

I am looking for a lenses to replace my Tamron for the 70D. 

Budget is up to $1,500.00. 

I looked at DXOmark, yesterday, comparing lenses. I like the Canon EF-70-200mm F/2.8L USM, which they ranked at 6th place.

Wondering if the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, which they ranked 1st, with an extender would be result in good quality.

**I would like the stabilizer feature.

I called Tamron to report that my photos taken with the Canon 70D are out of focus. I have had this lens working with my Rebel T3 for over a year.

Tamron wanted me to send them the lens and the camera.

Thank you again,

Sheila

Your lens line up is pretty good & we have at least one member here shooting that Sigma & he raves about it but even with an extender it's going to be a bit short for birds & wildlife.

Re the Tamron (had one of those & got good results on my 7D) does the 70D allow Micro Focus adjustments? If so you may be able to dial it in to match that body yourself.

So back to helping us on suggestions other than the 50-150 are your requirements re birds & wildlife for situations where things are relatively close (bird feeder, zoo etc) or far off in the wild?

As for my signature line I came up with that as the result of belonging to aanother photography forum which had a lot of members who ALWAYS recommended the most expensive gear out there for every "what do I need" thread. I lost my cool when a few told a 14 year old who only had the 18-55 kit lens that he would be wasting his miney on anything less than the Canon 100-400 L IS when he asked if the Sigma 70-300 was a decent lens for his bird photography interests. I asked those members if they were going to provide Ferrari's to their kids as their first cars, and noted their kids desreved the same top of the line gear they thought everyone else must buy. .  

My interest are taking photos out in the wild. Love to hike and enjoy being outside in-the-wild!

I will have to check to see if the 70D has Micro Focus adjustments. Thanks for that.

I don't blame you for being upset for others recommending  an expensive lens to a 14 year old!

There will most likely be more recommendations once the weekend is over but when it comes to wildlife in the wild cubic money dictates what we can afford vs what works best, plus size & weight need to be considered too if you have to lug the gear around for very long. Zooms are more versatile but heavier than primes especially if they have IS (or OS , Vc, VR) as the others call it. Popular zooms are the Canon 100-400 L IS, Sigma 50-500 OS & 150-500 OS. The Canon 400 f5.6 L is a very popular prime with birders. Beyond these it gets EXPENSIVE. 

Hello, I am probably the "guy that raves" about the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO lens. Wow, that is quite a name, isn't it?

It is a 'best buy', IMHO for any crop camera like the one you have. It will mimic the ever popular 70-200mm on the FF bodies, roughly.

The really hard to believe part about this story is, as my friends will testify, I hate 3rd party off-brand lenses. But, I must say there are a hand full that are truly amazing lenses. This is one of them!

There are more considerations besides just sharpness as you have learned from your Tamron. A lot of the time focus becomes a problem with off-brand lenses. Plus build quality can be pretty suspect. Warranty repair is also in the mix.

And possibly the biggest concern is quality control. You can get vastly different results from two identical model lenses.

My base line recommendation is, stick with Canon. But like I say there are a handful that are worthy.

My second, pretty much on the don't do it, list is tele converters. There is no free lunch in photography and you will give up something to get something else.

All that said, I don't think the Sigma is for you, if you want to shoot birds that is. I would check out the

Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS USM. (I certainly hope you are not 14 years old!)

PS The Siggy is truly a great lens, though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi! This is my first time posting on the forum and I want to say thank you, to both of you for replying. It is greatly appreciated!

I don’t know if the rules prohibit posting a web-site, which is a WordPress blog I have, where I upload photos. If I can then I will post the web-site so you can see mostly what I like to shoot. If not that is okay!

***The Sigma 50-150mm lens was rated number one on DXOMark (if it matters) using the Canon 70D. The Canon EF 70-200MM IS USM is rated 6th. The Canon 400mm is not on their list.***

Auto-focus microadjustment is a feature on the Canon 70D per DP Review. I will persue with my Tamron 18-270mm lens!!!

HeeHee, I am not 14 years old and don't want to be!! 😉 

I am glad you LOVE your Siggy!!

~Canon 70D; Canon Rebel T3

~Tamron 18-270mm f3.5- 6.3; Canon EFS18-55mm; Canon 75-300mm 1.4-5.6; Canon Macro EF-S 60mm USM

~Light Room 4

Thanks again,

Sheila

As far as I know you can post that link for us to visit. I've done it for several of my albums.

clcopo,

Please remember, I am an amateur photographer! Purchased my Rebel T3 two years ago, Tamron lens one year ago August and now my 70D about two weeks ago. 😉

Okay, here is my Blog name: WolfSongBlog.Com

A little shy about posting my link on a professional site; however like your quote states:

“A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve.”

I have the passion!

Thanks again!!

Sheila

Announcements