cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good portrait lens for under $200

ocaisceti94
Apprentice

So I'm looking to get a well performing lens for portraits for under $200 or close to that price. I have a crop body and right now have an 18-55mm IS STM Kit Lens and 55-250mm IS STM Telephoto lens. My wife has taken and interest in learning and doing portraits, and I was hoping to get a good quality lens to start her out with and save up for a really nice one once she becomes more comfortable and starts taking off with it. I'm looking for something that would provide a wide aperture, since the widest my lenses reach is 3.5 and 4 respectively. Thank you for you help.

7 REPLIES 7

mlamb01
Contributor

That has to be the nifty fifty prime, 50mm 1.8 STM lens.  I think its on sale right now for $100?

SBK
Enthusiast

Yes, with a cropped sensor, and the price range you mentioned, I second the 50mm 1.8 STM choice.

Agree since the 50 is the only option in this price range.  

On an APS-C sensor you wil get an effective focal equivlent of 80mm which should do nicely for portraits.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Hold on, not so fast there cowboy.  The 50mm f1.8 is an option and it is a good option but consider you have that FL already in your current kit zoom lens.  Set it to 50mm and have her try it for a while.

In portrait photography there are many considerations that snapshooters are unaware of. It is usually why they don't get the great photos they desire to achieve. Some times a super sharp lens is not what you want.  It can make a problem skin area look even worse.  Also a very open aperture can make a sharp photo impossible.

If you have children, preferably a daughter, (they like having their picture taken more than boys) you have a built in subject to practice on.  You need and it is mandatory to get a good post editor. I use, like 99% of the photography industry, Lightroom  and Photoshop. However, a very good one came free with your camera from Canon.  It is DPP4, you can d/l it if you need to.

Two things, try before you buy and learn, learn and learn. I guess that's two!  See what works. Notice what doesn't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"The 50mm f1.8 is an option and it is a good option but consider you have that FL already in your current kit zoom lens."

The focal length was not the main issue. From the OP:

"I'm looking for something that would provide a wide aperture, since the widest my lenses reach is 3.5 and 4 respectively."

"The focal length was not the main issue."

If you don't like 50mm for portraits then the aperture makes no difference.  The advice to fix the current lens to 50mm and try it for a while is valid. Plus for no better reason, it is free to do!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

mariah1902
Contributor
I think you can easily go for a more budget second hand lens. Some people upgrade their lenses and change them very frequently so you can buy on of those lenses with a very cheaper price. I think that would be the best option for you. I did that three times and I always found the good ones with no damage at all. I think it is much more sensible than buying one new.
Announcements