cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fungus on my lenses

MichaVandiver88
Contributor

Hi, Long time Canon Pro but first time having to deal with fungus growth on my lenses. I recently bought a B&B in Costa Rica and so I am part time in Costa Rica and the States. I have a dry room where I have kept my lenses (inside a Pelican Case) while in Costa Rica and the humidity was so bad that my lenses now have fungus. Is this something that Canon will fix / can clean or am I just screwed? Hasn't affected the quality of the images... just yet but wanted to send them all in for a good cleaning anyway. Not cheap, I am sure but wanted to ask if anyone has had issues with this themselves. As a nature photographer traveling the world, I am sure I am not the only one.  Thanks so much for your help! 

21 REPLIES 21

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You see it isn't noob or inexperience or arrogant or anything. That's the point. Next time it may never happen or it could be even worse, who knows? And, Rick I have been at the beach in Florida many times and taken lots of photos. I never got fungus. Why?

What you need to take away is associating one occasion to another. In addition photo gear is a whole different situation to a pro that makes a living with their gear. They become tools of the trade and not prized possessions. No different that a wrench to a mechanic. That's not to say sometimes a certina camera can't become more that just a simple tool. My F1n with its 50mm f1.4L lens has such a place in my heart because we went through some difficult times together. Some, well let's say I never want that to happen ever again stuff.  It has an honored spot on a shelf in my formerly stop bath stained walls of my no longer darkroom.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Ernie,

Happy New Year to you.  Really not sure why.  The beach probably didn't have any correlation.  It was just the last place I visited with the lens.  Young kid, first year of college.  I must have given it the right conditions or wrong ones.  ☹️

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements