cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus issues with Canon EF 70-200mm IS USM MkII using two different adapters R6 & R7

Sharpie1971
Apprentice

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help with this issue, it's really odd. I've had the EF 70-200mm IS USM MkII for a couple of years. I bought it from a friend, who had barely used it as he mostly uses large primes. The problem I have is the lens is pin sharp on both the R6 and R7 bodies when the shots are orientated landscape. As soon as I orient the camera portrait all of the shots are shocking, it's like the focus isn't working, almost all of the shots are out of focus and look odd. I have used this lens on many other EF mount bodies, 1DX, 1DX MkII, 7D, 7D MkII and never had a single issue with it. It's almost like it's hu nting for focus but it looks fine while your shooting, but the results are hopeless. I've been shooting sports for more than a decade and never had an issue like this before?? HELP!!!

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome:
Can you please advice if the adapters are Canon ones and, if not, what brand please?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor, they are both Canon adapters, one is the standard plain adapter, and the other is the drop in filter model. Cheers, Richard.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

OK, so only Canon adapters are in use.

You have an EF 70-200 f2.8 IS USM II that you purchased used.  Its been in service for years and is used in landscape and portrait orientation on EF mount DSLR's (without issue), and now suddenly, it doesn't focus in portrait orientation on a mirrorless body (R6 or R7)?  Did this ever work, or is this the first time you've tried on a R series body?

What shooting mode are you in?

What AF method are you using?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick, many thanks for getting in touch. I've tried it on all of the different servo focus point options, and on cases 1 and 3. It's strange because it doesn't look odd when focusing, but when you review the images the ground in front of the subject looks more in focus than the subject but still soft? It's almost like it's not locking and floating backwards and forwards. The thing that strikes me the most is that it's fine when in landscape orientation? This is the first time it’s been used on an R body.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

To save time and money you need to confirm the lens works properly on a EF camera body. You claim you have several there to try it on. Second reset the R6 and R7 to Canon default setting and try again. Almost all, 90%, of focus errors or misses are user caused and not gear. However that's not to say it can't be a faulty lens. I think very unlikely it is a fault of the adapter, though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Many thanks I'll give that a go!

Announcements