cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favorite Lens?

Monica
Enthusiast

What is your favorite Canon lens to photograph with, and why?

66 REPLIES 66

MichaelTheMaven
Contributor

Im going to have to go with the 24-70 2.8 L, it is an extremely versatile lens, very good in low light as well. I have both versions, but I havent shot with the v2 enough to know if there are any inconsistencies or issues. One thing I am worried about with it is the color seems a little off sometimes. Need to do a head to head test. 

70-200 2.8 L II is a close second. 

16-35 2.8 L II is third.

As a wedding photographer those three lenses were enough for me to cover any event. 

Michael

Twilightscapes
Contributor

It's hard to pick. My workhorse has been the 16-35II and I love it dearly. However, the 17 TS-E has now commanded my attention. It's a wonderful lens, challenging, sharp and allows you to do some crazy things.

Unique Night Time Photography | Twilightscapes.com

Well, my favorite lens and my most used lens are two different things. I would say that my workhorse lens is the 24-105 f4 L IS. It has a great, I love the constant aperture, and the IS helps me out tremendously for documentary and handheld work (keep in mind, I'm coming from a video background here). It probably lives on my C300 50% of the time.

My absolute favorite lens, though, right now has to be the 85mm f1.2 L. Good lord is that a beautiful lens. I get positively giddy every time I get to put in on the C300. 

24mm f1.4 L is a close second.

Misha
Apprentice

24-105mm f/4 L IS USM paired with my 5D MK2. Awesome walkaround lens, very sharp edge-to-edge. I have many other Canon lenses that I rarely used since I bought 24-105!

I'll go with my 70-200 f2.8 II.  Wonderful lens.  I traded in two non-IS versions of the lens ( 2.8 and 4.0) to upgrade and never regretted it.

Absolutely!

ShutterbugDoug
Apprentice

It depends on what I am shooting but as a freelance sports photographer my 70-200mm f2.8 L is my workhorse and spends most of the time on my camera. I bought a 35mm f2.8 TS-E with an FD mount and converted it to the EF mount and use it for most everything else I shoot unless I need auto focus and then it's my 24-70 f2.8 L. As for a favorite I must say it's the converted FD Tilt-Shift. The lens is so versatile, sharp and down right fun to use.

Chris
Contributor
Great question Monica. By far, my favorite lens to photograph with is the 24L II. Granted, zooms are far more versatile, so I shoot more often with the 24-70L and 70-200L II, but when I have the chance to frame my shot, nothing beats the angle of view and shallow depth of field of the 24L.
http://www.chrisandrikakis.com

Moose
Contributor

Easy. 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS.  I like photography in general, but macro is what I enjoy most, and spend a lot of time doing.  This lens is one of the best out there for that, but is also fine for portraits and general use.  A little long for a "walk around," on a crop, it'll be interesting to see what I can do with it on a FF (hopefully soon).

Announcements