cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ef 16-35 f2.8 II USM not sharp

kane808
Apprentice

So i have this lens and i’ve noticed that it is quite soft (not sharp) a lot of the times i shoot with it and i don’t know the cause of it. I’m curious if there is anyone here who has the same problem with this exact lens and maybe if you have any advice? I'll leave in the comments two examples.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I have this lens, exact model and version.  I've paired it on a 6D2 and on my R5 C.  Its razor sharp.  This is one of the reasons I purchased it many years ago.    Did your purchase this lens new?  Did it ever work to a standard you believe was good or sharp?

Please provide more information about your gear and use case.

Can you post some examples for us?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although folks don't like this answer but 90% of the time unsharp photos are user error and not the gear. Like Rick has alluded to this lens is known for its outstanding IQ. I have the first version of that lens and except for some edge distortion it is very sharp, too.

Some examples would help us a lot.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The lens is quite sharp.  However, if you take photos of landscapes and then try to zoom in on the distant details the images will look soft.  It’s because of you far into the image you have zoomed in or cropped for viewing.

If you want to see how sharp the lens truly is, then take a few sample photos of objects or subjects within 1-5 feet.  Fill the frame with the subject.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements