cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 budget-friendly landscape lens recommendations

Brifly55
Apprentice

My husband bought me the T7 camera recently and I'm looking for some input on the best budget friendly landscape lens? 

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lens do you have now? Why is it not a good landscape lens?

zakslm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Brifly55,

I have T7 too.

I’m going to assume that you have an 18-55mm lens that often is part of the Rebel T7 kit and ofen referred to as the “kit lens.”

That kit lens a pretty decent lens for landscapes at the wide end (say 18mm to 24mm) and when stopped down to f5.6 to f22.

You may also wish to consider an EFS 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM as budget friendly option.  I really like the results I get with mine.  It’s a good value particularly if you buy a refurbished lens from Canon or a nice used one from a reputable source such as KEH.com, B&H Photo or other recommended seller. 

There are some other options such as a EFS 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM that are highly regarded and highly recommended but may not be as budget friendly.  I also think Tamron and Tokina have some decent options to consider in either a wide angle zoom or fixed focal length for Canon EF-S mount. But like the 10-22 USM, I don’t have any experience with those lenses and they may only be available used. 

Enjoy your new camera and good luck!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Having had a fair number of crop sensor cameras, (I still have a couple) and a lot of lenses, I am wondering how much you have tried the 18-55 lens that usually comes with these cameras.  If so, can you say what it does not do for your landscape photography - what else do you want to achieve - wider view, better resolution etc.?

The lenses suggested by @Brifly55 are all good lenses, but they will be a poor investment if you cannot determine what they need to do for you.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you got the standard kit lens with your T7 you already have what you need. Now you need to go use it. Otherwise go buy the ef-s 18-55mm zoom lens standard lens. If you want the best step up lens buy the ef-s 17-55mm f2.8 lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I bought the T7 kit plus a couple of others as noted on my signature. I have used each one for one reason or scene or another. What do you want to accomplish with landscape photography as mentioned before? Let us know what you decide and share some photos, too.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
click here to view the gallery
Announcements