cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel Lens Recommendations

jaycieo1
Apprentice

So I take photos on the side for fun. I’m wanting to get more lenses for my Canon Rebel 6 but don’t know what lenses will work. Does anyone know of any?

I take all sorts of photos. Mainly of horses and cattle and some landscape. Love to take portraits of horses, cattle and people on horses. Also starting to dabble in action shots of people riding horses. 
I’m new to camera still so any help is appreciated 

13 REPLIES 13

Given that in a duplicate post (you should delete that), you say your knowledge of cameras is limited, I strongly recommend you take steps to learn the basics of photography.  A dedicated camera requires much more knowledge to use effectively and achieve the potential to generate great images, compared to a cell phone, for example.   Photography comes with its own terminology and learning some of that language is important if you are going to communicate effectively with those trying to provide assistance.

I suggest you invest a couple of hours to watch the following videos:
A general overview of photography with National Geographic photographer Chris Bray:
(2) Learn Photography - Simple, Practical - Free Photography Course 1/10 - YouTube

My colleagues may refer you to other videos and resources, and I encourage you to engage with them.

Given you said there you have an 18-55 and 75-300, if you want better glass you should consider the following:
Lenses that fit the T6 body will have either an EF or EF-S designation.  NO OTHERS WILL FIT THAT BODY.

Consider the EF-S 18-135 IS STM or USM lens to replace the 18-55 - it is faster focus and is a better all-around carry-about unit because of its focal range. 
To replace the 75-300 (which is at best a mediocre unit) you could consider a 100-400 lens.  Canon makes one but it is overly expensive for the body you have, so I would suggest the Sigma EF 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary lens.  You need to specify that it is an Canon EF mount when getting one, as they make lenses for different brands and you don't want to get the wrong one!  You can search the web for the best deals, but I recommend getting from a reputable dealer.

That would mean that in two lenses you have a focal range from 24-400mm, which should cover most applications.

To get to know this unit's controls and operations see:
(2) Canon Rebel T6s & 760D Overview Training Tutorial - YouTube

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

When I first got into photography four years ago, I was only familiar with my wife's SX530 HS camera. I bought a T7 and a book written just for me...Digital Photography for Dummies by Barbara Obermeier. I have read it twice and always find something new. Plus I downloaded the manual an go through with while using the camera along with it. jaycie01, digest the replies, buy what fits the budget, experiment and learn. Above all, have fun!

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I take all sorts of photos. Mainly of horses and cattle and some landscape. Love to take portraits of horses, cattle and people on horses."

Bottom line you don't really need any additional lenses. You can do what you sad you like shooting just fine with what you have. You can upgrade what  you have because there are better lenses out there but they won't offer you any different focal lengths unless you add a FL you don't currently own. Perhaps one of the 150-600mm super zooms for instance. Or on the other end of the FL something like the10-22mm ultra wide lens.

Someone above suggested something like the 55-250mm or 18-135mm and although they are better lenses they don't offer anything different that what you have. They duplicate it. Depending on the final use you have for these photos, better lenses is a question you need to answer. If the final use is social media like Facebook, I doubt you will ever tell a difference. If you make nice prints than, yes, higher quality lenses are worthwhile.

Don't fall into mantra the you need to upgrade if it won't better what you do. Adding something out of your current lenses covered FL makes more sense.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Unless you need a macro, while that might fall into your current focal length range, its specialization makes it worth it.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements