cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R 24-105 STM Slow Focus

b1arney
Apprentice

Hey All,

I recently switched from an M50 to an R for filming content and have discovered a strange issue with the RF 24-105 STM. When in face detection AF with eye tracking, the lens will eventually find the subject and focus, but it can take it some time to realize the subject is in frame (the focal plane box takes a bit to appear). Sometimes it’s one to two seconds, sometimes it’s five or six. I use the camera for a lot of vlog and self-recording work, which includes shots where I enter frame from off camera. Any ideas what’s causing this? I was told that it’s an issue with the STM lenses but I question that logic. I know the USM probably focuses faster, however I got my R kit for the price I sold my M50 kit for, and I’m working on saving up for the F/4 USM. That said, given that the lens DOES focus just fine when it tracks the subject, I’m not sure that logic tracks 100%.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Barney and welcome to the forum:

First question always is - what firmware version are you using please?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements